Airbox top off with K&N Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hockey Puck mod....for B Body cars. Too big for the Tahoe I think.

We put a puck in place of a piece we take out.
Yup, hockey puck is way too big. That was what i went for first. Canadian boy here, allways got hockey pucks in the house...LOL

Arctic-Rodz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost all the aftermarket CAI's dont have a lid for the airfilter that ive seen. I bought mine and it already had a K&N filter in it so i removed the lid. My 08 has the full K&N kit with no lid. It does get dirty faster though, not too bad.

DJTricky

Banned
Reaction score
my AIT sensor is reading 84.5 degrees with my 4 inch intake. my friends stock with the air box is reading 81.3 so there is really no difference. just wanted to throw that out there.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this last week, when you get the cap make two small slits with scissors on opposite ends to make it stretch better then clamp it down tight.

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't remove the top of the air box because then the filter will be drawing in hot air from the engine bay instead of pulling the air in thru the fender well.....so the little restriction relieved would most likely be lost from the hotter air.

that's what i always thought. so what's the benefit of K&N's aftermarket air intake kits if they're just sucking in warm air??
and while i'm on the topic, what would be a good stock replacement air filter? my mechanic laughed when i said K&N cuz they're greasy (wtf?). any other recommendations then? i went with a K&N on my old car. time to try another one for ***** and giggles...

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's what i always thought. so what's the benefit of K&N's aftermarket air intake kits if they're just sucking in warm air??
and while i'm on the topic, what would be a good stock replacement air filter? my mechanic laughed when i said K&N cuz they're greasy (wtf?). any other recommendations then? i went with a K&N on my old car. time to try another one for ***** and giggles...

The K&N intake system allows the air to flow directly into the intake through one single tube, as opposed to the factory setup which has it bend in different ways and constricts it. Basically the aftermarket relieves constriction. I currently have the stock intake setup with a K&N drop in filter, your mechanic says it's greasy because it comes oiled, and you have to oil it every 50k miles. When I put the filter in I noticed better MPG's but no real performance gains.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mccubbinsjl