Airbox top off with K&N Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I discovered the Tahoe I bought has a K&N filter installed. I removed the top half of the cover to let more air in. Is anyone else doing this on a stock motor/tune?

Will it screw up anything other than some MPG perhaps? Truck feels A LOT better with it off, but I'm not looking to ruin anything, just cheap or free mods. :mexsmoke: *cough cough*

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know man, I would be kinda scared of the filter getting wet. If you want a free mod pull off the air silencer, the little box that says vortec on it, and clamp a rubber cap over the hole. You'll get a very small, hardly noticeable increase in pickup and it sounds cool when you step on it.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
should be alright, When you install an after market one, you usually take the bottom plate out and dont leave the top on. Good chance its different on the OBS though

OP
OP
k gee

k gee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is OBS?

Sounds like the hockey puck mod we do on our LT1 motors for the B Body Caprice/Impala...as far as that silencer Rebel was speaking of. I will check into that. I'm not worried about it getting wet...how? I live in Los Angeles lol

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
heres what i did and i never had a issue with it

Attachments

• Picture 410.jpg
    Picture 410.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 208

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OBS - Old Body Style
NBS - New Body Style

What he said! ^^

No clue what the hockey puck mod is though lol

Yeah I wouldnt worry about water much at all. Mines open to the bottom and its been fine. open to the top should have no problem

Rebelution

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I wheel my truck my whole engine gets covered in mud so my cover is staying but yall's street queens will probably be alright without it :p

Chrislovessushi

Murderedish
Reaction score
took my cover off and removed the air silencer and didnt notice any difference aside from a little more of a vroom sound when I floor it.

Green monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know man, I would be kinda scared of the filter getting wet. If you want a free mod pull off the air silencer, the little box that says vortec on it, and clamp a rubber cap over the hole. You'll get a very small, hardly noticeable increase in pickup and it sounds cool when you step on it.
You talking about the box near the trottle body? What size cap do u need? I got the K&N filter just to cheap rite now to buy a CAI. The sound would be cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts