Air Bag Clockspring!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I seem to be having all sorts of "minor issues with my '97 Tahoe 4x4. I do not have a working horn. I really like having a horn to signal stupid drivers when they are behaving badly. I did all the diagnostic tests and found out the issue is in the steering wheel horn switch.

Removed the airbag and saw the contact cylinder was missing out of the clockspring. Slid a wire into the contact's hole and the horns activated!
Well time for a new clockspring...I was shocked to find out that GM has discontinued the part and all aftermarket companies have also done so! No new revised part is listed as a replacement. What is the impact of a broken clockspring with regard to the airbag deployment?
Has anyone else had this issue and what can be substituted? Is the part necessary for the airbag to deploy? Is GM hiding some potential safety problem? Please advise.

Thanks much.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clockspring allows power to the airbag - otherwise, any wiring would break when the steering wheel is turned. So, without it, it’ll probably just trip the airbag light and it won’t deploy.

A junkyard may be your best bet. GM part number was 26087273. The airbags changed for 1998, so they may use a different clockspring than 95-97. The part number would be stamped on it somewhere.

Other GM lines probably used the same part, so keep an eye out for S10 Blazers, full-size vans and anything with similar looking airbags.

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The clockspring allows power to the airbag - otherwise, any wiring would break when the steering wheel is turned. So, without it, it’ll probably just trip the airbag light and it won’t deploy.

A junkyard may be your best bet. GM part number was 26087273. The airbags changed for 1998, so they may use a different clockspring than 95-97. The part number would be stamped on it somewhere.

Other GM lines probably used the same part, so keep an eye out for S10 Blazers, full-size vans and anything with similar looking airbags.
Sincerely appreciate your reply. For now, I'm going to leave the current clockspring in so the airbag will continue to function. I'm just going to bypass the steering wheel's horn button.

At the moment I'm trying to locate which wire exists the steering wheel and sends that momentary negative current to the horn relay...

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

Sptwall

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
East302 you are The Man! I just read your message and saw the wiring diagram you uploaded. That is exactly what I needed. I will be putting in a bypass button this weekend. Good of you to share that wiring manual; much appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n