Aftermarket tails: LED vs non-LED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting some aftermarket LED tail lights for quite a while now. Not particularly just to have LEDs, but really because I hate the way the stock lights look. Well I was browsing around on eBay and came across these tails.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301393231313
They look VERY similar to the red and clear LED tails that I like, yet they just use stock bulbs (or I could use LED if I choose to) and are about half the price of LED tails that look like these. I was wondering if anyone on here has bought a pair of these or ones very similar to them. And what do you guys think about them? Whats your thoughts about them?

$_57.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I have those exact same ones and I love them.
Unlike headlights or turn signals you never see tails fog up. So that's one thing not to worry about lol.
They fit pretty good for aftermarket. Mounting is spot on, socket seats are a *****. Have to work them in there. But since I did the 6hi mod on mine all my sockets are slightly trimmed down anyway.
I was suprised on how much brighter the reverse lights are with the clear reverse lens. Huge difference.
For some reason mine have very tiny stress cracks on them, but I bought mine used and they came like that. But other than my set I've never heard of it being a common issue.

Final note , these really clean up the back end. My candy tails looked very clean as well but they still had the bubble design and I do prefer the smooth look that the aftermarket tails give.
:2cents:

jaxman7

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have barn doors they'll work but you'll need to modify them. Also. I recommend the lights (on the running and blinkers) purchased have bulbs that face to the side or rear and not the front. You won't get much reflection with typical forward facing because the housing for the reflectors are mainly behind the bulb. Bad design but it's not like these are super expensive. Also don't use white lights for the running/blinker lights. Shining through the lens it almost looks pink at night. Get red. Looks much better.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also hated my stock tails... you couldn't see anything behind you when it was in reverse.

I bought a set of these on ebay for $130:
https://www.carid.com/spyder/red-eu...d00-led-rc.html?singleid=145252411&url=938261

It has a similar look to the ones you posted, but in LED.
They are styled in a way that makes it look (to me anyway) like what GM might have put on the truck if they did LEDs.
I like how the entire thing lights up for parking lights (more light so "blind" people notice you), but it still has separate brake and turn sections of the lamp.
BoIimq5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts