AC/Heater Fan control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, the fan control stopped working yesterday. Today I opened the dash and fixed the ground wire...again. (did it a couple of years back). I gained all fans speeds EXCEPT HIGH...before I only had low and high... ok, what gives??

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well now I have ZERO fan movement. I replaced the metal resistor in the dash to no eval. How often does the blower motor go out?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Only when they break:)

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

did you forget to plug something back in or blow a fuse in the process?

VooDoo73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Atis- -
I'm going through a similar issue right now too...for the second time.... did you check the wire/connector for the 'high fan' power? It's the thicker red wire behind the glove box... Mine (connector)was melted. These HVAC controls are known to fail.. usually it's the only servicable part of the controller-- the fan speed selector..they seem to burn up. ChecK that first. Use a wire or jumper and cross the pins on the connector. your connector should have 4 wires running on one side and 3 on the other. You want the side w/ 3. Jump the 2 that are next to each other.. if your fan runs high it's the fan speed switch..

My current issue is my fan only blows to the floor and the AC and recirculate switch only activates when the fan is off.. Maybe I should ask you about the ground problem....

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
My current issue is my fan only blows to the floor and the AC and recirculate switch only activates when the fan is off.. Maybe I should ask you about the ground problem....

Voodoo, disconnect the dark green wire from your fan switch while others are still installed. Do you still have the same problem?

VooDoo73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Voodoo, disconnect the dark green wire from your fan switch while others are still installed. Do you still have the same problem?

Thx, Comet. Going to check that wire in the morning.. especially since it'll be @ 90° tomorrow..I'll post the outcome.... 'Ya think it's a bad ground?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
That his would not be a ground problem. The fan switch supplies voltage when turned off to disable the system so if it does not work when fan is on but does when fan is off then it kinda sounds like something is miswired. At least if you disable the disabler then you can get your system going and still figure it out.

VooDoo73

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Comet, I worked on the issue today.. Miswired is a question..I don't recall moving any pin assignments when I troubleshooted and then swapped the climate control unit the first go around. The second time the HVAC system failed it was origionally the same as what ultimately caused it the first time. The fan speed selector switch -Burned up both times. This time I started by ordering the single switch instead of the whole unit.. New, the complete controllers still fetching over $100 so I went the cheaper route.
Unlike the first time around I was able to get all fan speeds, but vent only hits the floor and the recirc. and AC buttons do nothing.
Today I started looking at anything I could access- short of removing the dash. I did play with the pin assignment of 1 (green) wire that seems to have supplied power to the vent select damper/ circuit board and I was able to get outside air and heat through all ventas..BUT when I hit the ac switch or the recirculate switch the air flow defauted back to the floor. I chose not to leave it like this concerned the rewire would do more harm than good if used .
I checked integrity of the relay behind the glovebox adjacent to the blower motor resistor. I also checked the now burnt High blower speed connector(red wire) behind the glove box as well.. It's warm, but holding. In regards to the disabler: Do you have an area where I may look to pull it?
I may ultimately just look into buying a used controller thinking the problem is something blown on the existing circuit board. ...
The problem is driving me crazy because I made no progress, but I did change my drive belt and found that a bad amplifier in my wife's sebring was the reason the OEM radio isn't working ..so not a total loss today..
Happy 4th too all !!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
the fan switch dark green wire supplies volts to the controller when fan is turned off to disable the system. if you disconnect it can't disable the controller. All functions should work regardless of fan position. If the problem persists and you replaced the control unit before and still no worky then I would suspect the recirc door motor might be shorting sending feedback voltage to the control unit screwing stuff up.

Ii you have fireworks blow up the old sebring amp. Just don't:Grenade:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts