A noise when turning over bumps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZACHBORIS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know,,, it is hard as hell to diagnose a sound from a thread.. But, I figure one of two of you may have had this problem.

I have an 09 burban. I have replaced shocks all around, and front wheel bearings. I have 153 k currently.

when my wheel is turned left fullly, and I go into my driveway (which has a gutter curb at the bottom) I hear a click / clunk when I drive over the curb. the noise usually happens after the burb starts rocking from driving over the curb... if that makes sense.

Any advice on the possible cause, anyone else have this problem before?

Thank you all in advance for any info.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I know,,, it is hard as hell to diagnose a sound from a thread.. But, I figure one of two of you may have had this problem.

I have an 09 burban. I have replaced shocks all around, and front wheel bearings. I have 153 k currently.

when my wheel is turned left fullly, and I go into my driveway (which has a gutter curb at the bottom) I hear a click / clunk when I drive over the curb. the noise usually happens after the burb starts rocking from driving over the curb... if that makes sense.

Any advice on the possible cause, anyone else have this problem before?

Thank you all in advance for any info.

Check sway bar end links.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya check sway bars and bushings & end links front & rear, rear torsion bar (make sure it's pretty tight), and there is a transmission support and a forward frame support to tighten up as well

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels don't make the same arc when turned to full lock, which can cause a tire to 'slip' sideways as you move forward. It can be particularly obvious if you're turning on a painted surface. Perhaps the gutter has some water in it, causing the wheel to slip?

But definitely check the sway bar end links. You might also check the sway bar mounts on the frame, to make sure they haven't cracked, rusted through.

OP
OP
ZACHBORIS

ZACHBORIS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The wheels don't make the same arc when turned to full lock, which can cause a tire to 'slip' sideways as you move forward. It can be particularly obvious if you're turning on a painted surface. Perhaps the gutter has some water in it, causing the wheel to slip?

But definitely check the sway bar end links. You might also check the sway bar mounts on the frame, to make sure they haven't cracked, rusted through.

I have noticed the noise more and more.... Now that you mention the arc when turning, I have noticed this is more pronounced when turning on slippery surfaces. Recently here in Northwest Ohio we have had some snow and notice a little bounce when the wheels are turned.

I took it to my local shop today to have a Tire pressure monitor reset. They tightened up the sway bar links but also stated my upper CA and ball joints need replaced.

That was one of my original thoughts as well. I guess after 153 k you wheel have to start replacing some stuff ;). Thanks for the tips everyone.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gawd dawg everybody on this thread has a 1-syllable name