A little confused

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burb!!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been scouring through all the "4WD hub on 2WD" threads and posts and I get most people (if not everyone), is using the outer cv axle housing (snout) to hold everything together. I have attached an image of the 4WD Timkens I am planning to get. I don't see how the snout helps with any support if the inner piece seems like one rolled piece [emoji848]. Nobody also seems to make clear how the 4WD hubs are stronger even though according to Timken, it looks like the bearing is similar to the 2WD. Not trying to start a debate or argument just want to be sure before I switch the 2WD Timkens I currently have on to 4WD. I recently went from 22x12 wheels to 22x14s. 118d9cfc3d5827c6641d5ed844ab9e31.jpg

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought there was a debate on whether a 4wd hub would come apart if the axle was removed when converting from 4wd/AWD to 2wd so the 2wd hub was needed if you converted.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only reason i can see using the end of the cv shaft is it would add a piece of metal where the 4wd hub on a 2wd would leave the center hollow. having the end of the shaft in there would help with any extra strain it would cause having it hollow almost making the center a solid chunk of metal. being hollow and under the right conditions could cause the center race the bend/flex unless you had the center spline in there keeping it solid.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see a problem either, and I heard Timken says the 4wd and 2wd are interchangeable on a 2wd vehicle.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timken SP500300 was the one I used when I replaced mine. AWD.

Now at work, we used a piece of all thread and beefy washers with a nut, to stop the hub from falling apart when testing steering and suspension knuckles. Evidently, one had came apart, which is why they threw a bolt in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elfro

Latest posts