98 Yukon, The engine restore starts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Dad says he wants me to fix the truck, so. Here I am. I need a good place to buy an engine in the future. I thought about just getting a junkyard engine, but I would rather not if possible. If any of you have done swaps, where have you gotten your engines from? Thanks!

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my shop I was a Jasper installer. You're not going to find a used engine for a 25yo truck that's worth the labor to find out it's worn out.
My exact thoughts. I wanna find a good new one.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New you'll have to look at GM engines. Jegs and Summit used to have good prices on them along with Scoggins-Dickey Chevrolet.
Don't know your situation but if you have a good machine shop locally you might want to try your hand at rebuilding what you have. It's a lot of work if you do it right but it's rewarding when you do it yourself.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on mileage and condition of truck and if you are going to keep truck for long haul.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Dad says he wants me to fix the truck, so. Here I am. I need a good place to buy an engine in the future. I thought about just getting a junkyard engine, but I would rather not if possible. If any of you have done swaps, where have you gotten your engines from? Thanks!
What is wrong with your engine?

It may be that it's rebuildable. Things like burning oil, low compression or low oil pressure may require a cylinder boring, new pistons/rings, cam/cam bearings and bottom end bearings. Worse case is the crankshaft needs turning, which is no big deal. Heads can be remachined as well, and new stem seals replaced. Basically a remanufactured engine. It's just not going to be inexpensive. You have to find the right shop you can drop off your long block and they do all of the work for you.

I'm assuming you want to keep the truck stock as it came from the factory?

Summit does seem to have a bunch of SBC engines for sale, but those are meant for like older vehicles with carburators. I don't see any Vortec-SBCs longblocks for sale. I do see some SBC bare blocks with provisions for roller cams and 1 piece rear main seal, which I believe should work with your Vortec setup. SUM-150203 for $1949.99. Just swap intakes from your current engine and whatnot.

Speaking of which, you need a budget if you haven't thought of one.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re having a shop do the install, pay attention to the warranty labor rate if it has to be yanked out and shipped back. Some remans will only reimburse a percentage (say $50-$70/hr) for labor on warranty claims. It surely varies across the country, but most shops are probably in the $150/hr neighborhood.

If you’re doing the install yourself, check to see how that impacts the warranty.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with your engine?

It may be that it's rebuildable. Things like burning oil, low compression or low oil pressure may require a cylinder boring, new pistons/rings, cam/cam bearings and bottom end bearings. Worse case is the crankshaft needs turning, which is no big deal. Heads can be remachined as well, and new stem seals replaced. Basically a remanufactured engine. It's just not going to be inexpensive. You have to find the right shop you can drop off your long block and they do all of the work for you.

I'm assuming you want to keep the truck stock as it came from the factory?

Summit does seem to have a bunch of SBC engines for sale, but those are meant for like older vehicles with carburators. I don't see any Vortec-SBCs longblocks for sale. I do see some SBC bare blocks with provisions for roller cams and 1 piece rear main seal, which I believe should work with your Vortec setup. SUM-150203 for $1949.99. Just swap intakes from your current engine and whatnot.

Speaking of which, you need a budget if you haven't thought of one.
Engine knock. Ran out of oil pressure on the highway, there was really no way to pull off instantly safely. So..Knocks like it owes me money.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you’re having a shop do the install, pay attention to the warranty labor rate if it has to be yanked out and shipped back. Some remans will only reimburse a percentage (say $50-$70/hr) for labor on warranty claims. It surely varies across the country, but most shops are probably in the $150/hr neighborhood.

If you’re doing the install yourself, check to see how that impacts the warranty.
It will most likely be myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts