98 Yukon, The engine restore starts.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When replacing an engine it should include a lot of other associated parts which really runs the costs up beyond the cost of the engine. Radiator condition is important and replacement might be needed. All belts hoses filters water pump thermostat etc. should be replaced. It adds up fast!

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When replacing an engine it should include a lot of other associated parts which really runs the costs up beyond the cost of the engine. Radiator condition is important and replacement might be needed. All belts hoses filters water pump thermostat etc. should be replaced. It adds up fast!
Everything you listed is something I’ve replaced within a year. However, if I was to get a brand new engine, I would throw in the extra $ to make sure there are no faults as best as I can.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engine knock. Ran out of oil pressure on the highway, there was really no way to pull off instantly safely. So..Knocks like it owes me money.
Understand. Likely a rod bearing failure then.

Go ahead and remove the engine. Do a complete teardown, keeping everything in order on how it was assembled together.

Do a quick visual when you are taking it apart, but don't spend too much time just yet. The important thing is disassembly and keeping things in order. You should have a good way to labeling things and plenty of garage or shop space for this. Cardboard boxes, masking tape and a sharpie is just fine. Summit and Jegs have those nice trays too.

After you are left with all parts, then you can clean things and do a closer inspection, and look for failure points, wear, etc.

Only then can it be determined if engine is rebuildable. If it is, all those parts can be taken to the machine shop. If not, then you can worry about shopping for another engine.

Check out YT channel called "myvintageiron". He recently put a series of videos on how to overhaul a SBC for purchase. I can't recall the price, but it seemed very reasonable and he said the price includes answering technical questions, which sounded like a bargain to me.

OP
OP
O

OilBurner2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand. Likely a rod bearing failure then.

Go ahead and remove the engine. Do a complete teardown, keeping everything in order on how it was assembled together.

Do a quick visual when you are taking it apart, but don't spend too much time just yet. The important thing is disassembly and keeping things in order. You should have a good way to labeling things and plenty of garage or shop space for this. Cardboard boxes, masking tape and a sharpie is just fine. Summit and Jegs have those nice trays too.

After you are left with all parts, then you can clean things and do a closer inspection, and look for failure points, wear, etc.

Only then can it be determined if engine is rebuildable. If it is, all those parts can be taken to the machine shop. If not, then you can worry about shopping for another engine.

Check out YT channel called "myvintageiron". He recently put a series of videos on how to overhaul a SBC for purchase. I can't recall the price, but it seemed very reasonable and he said the price includes answering technical questions, which sounded like a bargain to me.
That’s wonderful advice! Thanks! I’ll see what I can get done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879