5.7 96 throttle body and manifold difference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lifted2X4chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What is size difference in throttle body and manifold? Is it possible to take throttle apart down to body only and machine opening larger? As far a blade after machining going to make one or find larger one at Junk yard off something else.

Want to.do blade mod too.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Plenum opening is 78 mm I think and there are some people who have made or modded TB to that size. I have one but removed it till I can find out why it was interfering with the emission readiness monitors. Have not had time to get into it.

Last edited:

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use a phenolic (fiberglass type thing) spacer under TB to raise it increasing manifold volume and insulate it from manifold heat.

Run two or three injector tower gaskets to raise injectors up and out of the TB bores and insulating them from heat transferred from manifold.

Two gaskets require no mods to TB, three require grinding of the lil bar that wraps around the back of the TB base.
Because Fuel lines will hit it.
You need longer bolts to do this. Any auto shop or hardware store will have them.
Your TB will actually get cold from the air flow instead of hot from engine heat.

If you want more flow than what that gives, take TB base to any machine shop with a end mill and have the "lips, aka horns" milled off the TB that wrap around the bores.

You can also get a TB from a big block and do the same mods above and get the big TB bores. Next to expensive after market TB's the modded big block TB is best.

Be smart, get the correct wrenches to work with those lines and fittings or risk rounding them and stripping the injector towers threads out.

Been there done that.

Best way to deal with those crappy hard lines is to cut them back aprox 8" and use nice flexible ruber reinforced fuel line.
This way when you want to pull the TB, you simple loosen the hose clamps that hold the rubber lines to the 1.5" hard line stubs that you left on the TB and slide off the hose.
They are diff sizes so you can get them mixed up.
Makes it very easy and fast to remove and clean the TB and no more using those ****** wrenches on those butter soft fittings or risking stripping the towers threads.

Tower spacer. I used 3 gaskets instead of spending that kinda $$.
Phenolic spacer for under the TB

This is advice learned the hard way and over many years of playing with Early GM engines.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
BTW, seeing as how you have a vortec engine with 8 injectors and a dry intake setup don't waste money on spacers unless you want to do the plenum spacer mod. A TB spacer in a vortec will not help you at all.

OP
OP
L

lifted2X4chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Plenum opening is 78 mm I think and there are some people who have made or modded TB to that size. I have one but removed it till I can find out why it was interfering with the emission readiness monitors. Have not had time to get into it.

So plenum opening is 78 mm, i think i read some where TB SFI is 73 mm. They sell 80 mm you would actually have to machine plenum to take full advanage of 80 mm. Is the 454 TB an 80 mm? Trying to find more info on 454 swap TB.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
So plenum opening is 78 mm, i think i read some where TB SFI is 73 mm. They sell 80 mm you would actually have to machine plenum to take full advanage of 80 mm. Is the 454 TB an 80 mm? Trying to find more info on 454 swap TB.

That is why I said I think. Maybe it was 73mm. It has been a while since I have dealt with mine. So ported to 80m is likely. I can not recall the size data on the 454 TB.

OP
OP
L

lifted2X4chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I did a throttle blade mod I found on another site n took a few measurements while I had it apart.
Blade of throttle body is 2.960
Bottom edge of throttle body after blade is 2.835
So there is about .125 of material that can be removed to open up throttle body.
Intake manifold is 2.85

So next will be to hit junk yard to get a throttle body and upper intake. Also mass air flow to bore out as large as I can make it.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Do not bore out a MAF. You will screw up it internal calibration and just make things worse. Besides the MAF is capable of handling the airflow of a super charger. If you want to get rid of air flow restrictions get a K&N 57-3013-2 that has the plastic tube on it. That will do a lot more because you would get smooth airflow all the way in instead of going thru the accordion ducting.

OP
OP
L

lifted2X4chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did a lot more to throttle body than had planned. Bought one off eBay for $30. Machinist by trade

Removed lip from bottom edge of TB, ported to hour glass figure blade being only place didn't touch, cut and removed top half of blade shafts where blade is, removed baffle completely from blade and welded up rivit holes, knife edged blade on 2 opposite sides. Bored out throttle body spacer.

Planning on getting performance distributors dyna mod ignition module and screaming demon coil.

Next was reading a lot on newer MPFI, I have 237,000 mile w/ original poppets still. Not sure what order I should do things in, but here what I'm thinking. I have Flowmaster, MSD wires, air intake, hypertech programed I've had all this since about 99. Just started mod little things to help.

Removing accordin intake tube and replace w/ boot elbow and alum.

MPFI upgrade
Along w/ Vmax spacer while I'm at it.

added electric fans

Underdrive pulley

Patriot long tube headers
High flow cats (have originals still)

BB tune w/ EGR delete

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member