5.3 basic mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankhenrylee

Reaction score
Hey guys whassup! I just got a 2002 Tahoe 4x4 w/5.3 and was wondering about some things I can do to boost performance? I like stuff that is tried and true so hit me with your best proven upgrades and mods for everyday street use.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat-back exhaust...intake...custom tune (ie...BlackBear)

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
replace just the muffler IMHO, the exhaust is already ample for a 5.3, so just replace muffler.
headers, just keep primaries to 1 5/8", and CAI and custom tune like Black Bear.

OP
OP
F

Frankhenrylee

Reaction score
I was looking into the Black Bear tuning where they send you the cable and you record your info and send it back. Has anyone else done this and how much of a difference did it make?

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing...corvette servo for the transmission.

I was looking into the Black Bear tuning where they send you the cable and you record your info and send it back. Has anyone else done this and how much of a difference did it make?
It makes a HUGE difference in drivability. Reduces torque management, optimizes for octane preference, makes shifts firmer, etc...well worth the money.

waxworkz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thing...corvette servo for the transmission.

It makes a HUGE difference in drivability. Reduces torque management, optimizes for octane preference, makes shifts firmer, etc...well worth the money.

excuse the stupid question, but how much better than a programable tuner is this? i have a power chips octane preference tuner but everything only works at WOT. does a tune such as the BB work through out the power band?

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, simply put you can have the BlackBear tune to your liking. There is so much more flexibility in a custom tune than any handheld offers. There are lifetime updates & retunes as well with BlackBear.

You can now do a cable tune where you send actual feedback from your truck to BlackBear & he'll fine tune your tune to your readings.

The BlackBear tune is something you'll see good increases across the board in. Handheld tuners scratch the surface...barely...BlackBear tunes change the ingredients.

It's totally worth it...I've used handhelds in the past...there is no comparison.

Cameron

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The blackbear tune seems to cover all bases. I got mine done in person and at first I couldn't really tell a difference. After some miles the tune started to come around and the computer was giving me more and more power. I have a shift kit in my trans and it was always shifting hard when I didn't want it to. After the tune the firmness is dependent on the amount of throttle so I can make the truck shift like stock or full throttle it and it just bang gears. I reduced my engine torque management (big power killer in the NBS trucks) to 0 and got the high octane tune. converting to Efans will net you free power and the tune can activate your computer pin/s to operate them. I'm also getting around 15mpg city too. hard to find anything for the price to net you as much power. my truck is stock except the tune and trans and I've run 6.0 escalades up to their speed limiter and shot past them so I'm happy lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia