4L65E corvette servo upgrade, now no 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
I don't think so. Are you sure you oriented everything the right way? I remember somebody putting the apply piston in backwards once and it gave him trouble. He put it in right, and all was well.
The only thing I can think of that I could have put in backwards would be the 4th apply piston... but I don't think I did. 2nd apply piston and pin was installed with steel cover facing in towards the trans. When I disassembled the the old 2nd apply piston, there was only 1 spring in there. There are some photos online I see 2 springs...

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
So HiHoeSilver was on the right track. It ended up that I pinched the large split teflon seal on the 2nd apply piston. The OE Split telfon seal that came off with the old servo was in really good condition, so I am re-using it until I can install the new seal next weekend. To keep the teflon seal from pinching, I really filled the seal groove with petroleum jelly before placing the seal in the groove. Install is much easier the 2nd time around.

Jeff, yes I did old pin was right under 1/8" and new one puts me a little over 1/16"

Now everything is working, and man it sure makes a difference!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So HiHoeSilver was on the right track. It ended up that I pinched the large split teflon seal on the 2nd apply piston. The OE Split telfon seal that came off with the old servo was in really good condition, so I am re-using it until I can install the new seal next weekend. To keep the teflon seal from pinching, I really filled the seal groove with petroleum jelly before placing the seal in the groove. Install is much easier the 2nd time around.

Jeff, yes I did old pin was right under 1/8" and new one puts me a little over 1/16"

Now everything is working, and man it sure makes a difference!

Good job.

Spoolin

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I’ve read a couple topics about these corvette servos, what exactly do they do and why to do them?

Thanks

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but I’ve read a couple topics about these corvette servos, what exactly do they do and why to do them?

Thanks

It will firm up the 1-2 (& 2-3) shifts and have more holding power to stay in gear longer through the power band. Less slipping =less wear. Also, noticeably more fun when you're getting on it.

One of, if not the best ~$20 mods, imo.

Jeff Groves

Retired Demo Expert. I don't need to run anymore!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will firm up the 1-2 (& 2-3) shifts and have more holding power to stay in gear longer through the power band. Less slipping =less wear. Also, noticeably more fun when you're getting on it.

One of, if not the best ~$20 mods, imo.
Well stated.
I started modding this line of trannies way back in what '82 or '83 when the 700R4 came out?
I was the first in my area to have one installed in a '75 Camaro with a Duel Nox system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman