Issues with 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Echo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 4WD 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe with a 5.3L V8 and a 4L60E transmission.

My issue is this.

About a month ago, my transmission started shifting oddly into 2nd gear, I would have to go well over the normal RPM shift range and let off the accelerator for it to shift properly. I'm getting no codes whatsoever, and it seems to shift into 2nd gear from the column, and drive just fine. My first instinct was to do a flush and change out the filter, but the fluid looks nice and red.

I haven't done that yet because I wasn't completely sure that would fix it. I was hoping to gain some insight from the forum and those more experienced with these transmissions before I pulled the trigger on any solutions.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My issue is this.

About a month ago, my transmission started shifting oddly into 3rd gear, I would have to go well over the normal RPM shift range and let off the accelerator for it to shift properly. I'm getting no codes whatsoever, and it seems to shift just fine into third gear from the column. The transmission fluid is a deep brown color, so my first instinct was to do a flush and change out the fluid.

I haven't done that yet because I wasn't completely sure that would fix it. I was hoping to gain some insight from the forum and those more experienced with these transmissions before I pulled the trigger on any solutions.

Any ideas?
Moved you here from 2021+section.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 2-4 band is likely slipping and you arent getting 2nd but actually it is shifting into 3rd since 2nd was skipped. Thats why the rpm's are jumping up. Smell the fluid.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My issue is this.

About a month ago, my transmission started shifting oddly into 2nd gear, I would have to go well over the normal RPM shift range and let off the accelerator for it to shift properly. I'm getting no codes whatsoever, and it seems to shift into 2nd gear from the column, and drive just fine. My first instinct was to do a flush and change out the filter, but the fluid looks nice and red.

Any ideas?
Do you have 4th gear/overdrive? Any issues with reverse?

If your band's fried/shot you wont have either 2ns or 4th gear. If your sun shell fractured/broke, you'll lose 2nd, 4th and reverse.

If your 2nd gear servo piston's sealing rings are worn/flattened, you wont have second but will have fourth assuming the 4th gear servo apply piston's sealing ring is still functioning.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No issues with reverse, or 4th. Just shifting into second from first. If I shift directly into second it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No issues with reverse, or 4th. Just shifting into second from first. If I shift directly into second it doesn't do anything out of the ordinary.
Ok...That doesn't quite rule out the band but you can check for excessive servo travel due to a worn band. When the band begins to go, it usually shows up with 2nd gear shortly before 4th goes out. Go underneath with a pry bar and position the pry bar so that the back of the pry bar is on the servo cover and end is anchored on the inside diameter of the trans tunnel so that you can lever the pry bar to push in the servo cover. Servo should only move around 1/16" to 1/8" of an inch. If it's noticeably more than 1/8" the band is worn and it would be best to pull the trans and rebuild it as the 3-4 clutch pack going out is likely the next thing to fail (most of these come in for overhaul due to a burnt 3-4 clutch pack).

I would also drop the pan to inspect the fluid. Just looking at the dip stick won't often tell you much as it doesn't to the bottom where all the sediment and other matter settles out. The fluid can look red on the dipstick but once drained, actually is very dark/black and bottom full of burnt friction material. If you see lots of burnt clutch material, put the pan back on and pull the unit for overhaul.

Having to let off the accelerator to get an automatic transmission to upshift is a common tell-tale sign of worn applied friction elements (clutch discs, bands) in the trans.

Please quote my post in your reply to the thread if you have questions on anything I've mentioned.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might get lucky with just changing the servos I have before.

OP
OP
Echo

Echo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I made it easy on myself, ordered a new performance 4L60E from JEGs for the Tahoe. This will give me an opportunity to get familiar with working on these transmissions, as I will have the old one to bench and work on.

Should I succeed in rebuilding it, I can swap the one in my S10 for the rebuild, and have a spare on standby or to sell.

Any tips, tricks, or links to some transmission swapping tutorials would be greatly appreciated. I've done plenty of motor work, but never messed around with swapping out a transmission.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made it easy on myself, ordered a new performance 4L60E from JEGs for the Tahoe. This will give me an opportunity to get familiar with working on these transmissions, as I will have the old one to bench and work on.

Should I succeed in rebuilding it, I can swap the one in my S10 for the rebuild, and have a spare on standby or to sell.

Any tips, tricks, or links to some transmission swapping tutorials would be greatly appreciated. I've done plenty of motor work, but never messed around with swapping out a transmission.
Swapping the transmission is easy...In addition to the usual tools, you will want to have a transmission jack (you can make a regular floor jack work but it's not ideal), either a few 12" 1/2 drive extensions or a long 36" extension and wobble 15mm socket for the bell housing-engine block bolt at the 12 o'clock position. Make sure you index your drive shaft(s) before you remove as they have to go on exactly the same way that they came off. Otherwise you'll have a horrible vibration at each differential (not sure if you have a 2wd or 4wd). Lastly, you'll likely need a heat gun to melt all the dialectic grease that has turned into a glue like substance so you can disconnect the MLPS (the large black thing bolted to the transmission and splined onto the selector shaft) from its dual connector. You will want to purchase a new OEM one (if you reinstall your old one and it fails (both P and N) you won't be able to start your truck.

Watch my 4L60E tear down video a couple times shortly before you begin messing with your existing one so you know what to look for, how to inspect the various parts and sub-assemblies as well as what to expect once you begin tearing it apart. PM me if you need any help if/when you cross that bridge. I also have a complete rebuild series on the 4L60E as well as several topical videos covering high performance parts, mods, etc...

ETA: No computer programming or "fast adapts" are necessary. Just fill it up with 12-13 quarts (you wont get all of it in until you actually put it in gear so fill the converter with a quart, pan with 5-6 then fire it up and idle it...DO NOT PUT IT INTO GEAR AT THIS TIME. Check level and add until it wont take any more. Now put it in gear while still up on all four jack stands so you can cycle it through all the gears and enable it to take up the rest of the fluid. The engagement into each gear should be positive and firm but not harsh or jarring.

At this point you should be a quart or two low. Top it off then take it for a test drive.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM