4L65E corvette servo upgrade, now no 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AltxF4

Reaction score
So I have had the Corvette servo parts sitting around for a while now, and I figured I would install it while I was doing the trans fluid and filter change. I got it all done and installed, and now I do not seem to have a 2nd gear... I still have 4th though. What the heck did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
So I have had the Corvette servo parts sitting around for a while now, and I figured I would install it while I was doing the trans fluid and filter change. I got it all done and installed, and now I do not seem to have a 2nd gear... I still have 4th though. What the heck did I do wrong?

Thanks in advance.

You split the o-ring. Probably the blue one.

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
You split the o-ring. Probably the blue one.
Hmmm... make some sense. Hope that is an autozone part... I will pull it off tomorrow. Any tricks to getting it in without killing o-rings? the videos I saw (the few done in a vehicle) it seemed like they just shoved the thing in, and pied the cover to get the snap ring in.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hmmm... make some sense. Hope that is an autozone part... I will pull it off tomorrow. Any tricks to getting it in without killing o-rings? the videos I saw (the few done in a vehicle) it seemed like they just shoved the thing in, and pied the cover to get the snap ring in.

I'm not sure about replacement, but I'll bet if you pull it apart, you'll clearly see what's wrong and know what to be more careful with next time.

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
I'm not sure about replacement, but I'll bet if you pull it apart, you'll clearly see what's wrong and know what to be more careful with next time.
Alright, fair enough. Now the question is will it be ok to drive it like a grandma until Monday or Tuesday when I get the new seals in (if I can't get any local over the weekend)?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Alright, fair enough. Now the question is will it be ok to drive it like a grandma until Monday or Tuesday when I get the new seals in (if I can't get any local over the weekend)?

What's it doing? 1st to 3rd?

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
What's it doing? 1st to 3rd?
First starts out normal, but it will get to the point where it would normally shift, but will just keep increasing in revs without any speed increase. If I let off the throttle a little bit, it will then shift to 3rd, and 3rd is good, and then will shift to 4th fine. Manually moving the gear selector, 1st works as a expected, and so does 3rd. Shifting to 2nd it feels like its not doing anything, but I feel like I might be maintaining speed, but RPMs go up a lot with more throttle.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
First starts out normal, but it will get to the point where it would normally shift, but will just keep increasing in revs without any speed increase. If I let off the throttle a little bit, it will then shift to 3rd, and 3rd is good, and then will shift to 4th fine. Manually moving the gear selector, 1st works as a expected, and so does 3rd. Shifting to 2nd it feels like its not doing anything, but I feel like I might be maintaining speed, but RPMs go up a lot with more throttle.

Here's the thing, you're not gonna know exactly what you did wrong until you take it apart. I would count on being down as long as shipping is for whatever you f-ed up. Your certainly not the first one to have trouble doing this job.

OP
OP
AltxF4

AltxF4

Reaction score
When I installed the servo, I used the longer No groove Pin that came with the OPT kit. The pin that was in my Yukon was the middle length 2 groove pin. It was really hard to press in the cover to get the snap ring in. Could any of this Cause a problem like I am seeing?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
When I installed the servo, I used the longer No groove Pin that came with the OPT kit. The pin that was in my Yukon was the middle length 2 groove pin. It was really hard to press in the cover to get the snap ring in. Could any of this Cause a problem like I am seeing?

I don't think so. Are you sure you oriented everything the right way? I remember somebody putting the apply piston in backwards once and it gave him trouble. He put it in right, and all was well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n