4l60e planetary gear replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SP543

Reaction score
My 4l60e is starting to whine in 1st, and sounds like a turbo de-spooling when shifting to 2nd. From what I have read this is due to a worn planetary gear. Does this require the entire trans to be dropped? What is the estimated cost to replace? Drives and shifts fine other than the whine, whine goes away when not giving any gas or decelerating. Only 1st into 2nd gear, at highway speeds absolutely quiet.

Last edited:

Marv02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you need to drop the trans and needs to be rebuilt.

OP
OP
S

SP543

Reaction score
Will a transmission shop do the 4l80e conversion with a warranty? Just left where all my tools and garage are for 5 months for school, and this just started happening right after so I can't work on it myself which is incredibly annoying. Any idea how much labor would run me for a shop just to pull the 4l60e and replace with another that I supplied?

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have the shop do a freshen up on the 4l80 then you will probably get a warranty. But do some research and find which tail housing you need. Then you will also need a new crossmember for the trans mount. and a tune

OP
OP
S

SP543

Reaction score
I'm going to nurse it along until I can find a good, reputable shop in the area that will do the work. Of course the one time I've had anything go bad with these trucks, it's in a super inconvenient time and situation...

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the longer you drive it, the more damage you will do to the trans....even to the point of not being rebuildable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n