4in rancho lift with 33s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07Z71hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody on here has talked me out of a body lift so now I'm saving up for a 4in rancho lift. Only problem is i just bought brand new 33" nitto trail grapplers. Do y'all think 4 in lift with 33s will look ok until these tires wear down an I can get 35s? Pics would be great. Doesn't matter if it's nnbs Tahoe pics, just want to see what 33s on 4" looks like. Thanks

protonvx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO 33s and the Rancho 4" kit will look small. Everything I have read says the rancho kit is closer to 5" of lift after installation.

Don't be scared of a body lift. They are no different than a standard suspension lift. The main purpose of any basic suspension lift kit is to provide more ground clearance (same as a body lift). Some guys measure ground clearance from the ground to the frame. I measure it from the ground to the axles/suspension components. The only way to gain more ground clearance, as I measure it, is to run larger diameter tires. For me, I wanted to run 34s with out spending over a grand in a suspension lift and I have accomplished this task with only spending $400 on new struts and shocks. Sometime this winter, I will be installing a 2" body lift and when I am done, it will all look factory and I will still be able to tow my 4500# boat. I had a 2" body lift on a Jeep for 35,000 miles with no issues on or off road, and I have a 1" body lift on my wife's jeep (25,000 miless) with no issues on or off road. The problems I have seen with body lifts have mainly been associated with older vehicles that have weak/aged body mounts. I have also seen issues with homemade kits.

OP
OP
07Z71hoe

07Z71hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they will look small. What was the issue again?

The issue is a just put the 33" nitto trail grapplers on with leveling kit not long ago but it doesn't sit high enough for me. I'm not going buy 35s right now when I just bought 33s. Gotta wait for these to wear down.

OP
OP
07Z71hoe

07Z71hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO 33s and the Rancho 4" kit will look small. Everything I have read says the rancho kit is closer to 5" of lift after installation.

Don't be scared of a body lift. They are no different than a standard suspension lift. The main purpose of any basic suspension lift kit is to provide more ground clearance (same as a body lift). Some guys measure ground clearance from the ground to the frame. I measure it from the ground to the axles/suspension components. The only way to gain more ground clearance, as I measure it, is to run larger diameter tires. For me, I wanted to run 34s with out spending over a grand in a suspension lift and I have accomplished this task with only spending $400 on new struts and shocks. Sometime this winter, I will be installing a 2" body lift and when I am done, it will all look factory and I will still be able to tow my 4500# boat. I had a 2" body lift on a Jeep for 35,000 miles with no issues on or off road, and I have a 1" body lift on my wife's jeep (25,000 miless) with no issues on or off road. The problems I have seen with body lifts have mainly been associated with older vehicles that have weak/aged body mounts. I have also seen issues with homemade kits.

So I can buy new shocks an struts and it will give me more Clarence? If this is true can u tell me what to buy. I'm bout to order 3.5" leveling kit and sell the 2.5. If I have 3.5 leveling kit and the new shocks and struts I could fit 35" tires I think. What do you think?

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen many Silverado/Sierra trucks with the rancho kit and 33" tires and it looks fine. I would run them and see how you like it.

Here is a sierra with 285/65/18 tires
IMG_1234.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

IMG_1236.jpg

Last edited:

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body lifts are not the same as lift kits. If you tow, you will need a body lift that properly relocates the hitch for strength, or be prepared to fab some up. The Tahoe is a very heavy vehicle, so I would not put a large body lift if you take it offroad. Better have at least grade 8 bolts...

I am not totally against body lifts because they do have their place. Like having a proper suspension lift with a small body lift to stuff large diameter tires.

That 3.5" level kit has to keep the suspension within design limits. Proper diff angles, CV angles, etc. IMO if you go beyond 2.5" up front a proper lift kit is needed.

IMO those tires on that Sierra look very small.

Last edited:

protonvx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree that the wheel/tire combo on the Silverado look way too small.

There are no strut/shock combos that will give you a 3.5" lift in the front. The Bilstein's I have gave me 2" in the front and I added a spacer to give me 2.5" in the front. The rears are longer to accomodate a 1" rear lift.

I strongly agree with Zed regarding a proper front 3.5" kit (which I have not seen one that accounts for all the suspension componets and restoring them to close to factory specs).

If I did a lift I would probably do the CST as from what I have read, after install the traction control doesn't kick on all the time and the front track width is the same as factory.

Concerning the body lift. I will be using the Zone 2" kit and reinforcing the rear bumper. I own an manufacturing business and have access to all kinds of fab equipment, so by the time I am done the rear bumper will be much stronger than stock.

I was not trying to say that a suspension lift and a body lift are exactly the same, I was trying to say that a body lift and a basic suspension lift serve the same purpose. When I say basic suspension lift I am literally talking about the entry level kits that re-use most of the stock suspension components and do not provide any more articulation than the stock suspension did.

35s will fit with a 3.5" or 4" lift with the proper width and offset wheel/tire combo and some trimming.