3rd row dome light on with lift gate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgraves

Reaction score
Is there a way to have the 3rd row dome light come on when the lift gate opens?

With the 3rd row folded, the cargo area is poorly lit by only the cargo area dome light but adequately lit when all the dome lights are illuminated.

I’m considering an aftermarket or custom solution, but it would be so much easier if this is a setting I just haven’t found yet.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
After looking through the owner's manual and menu's on the display, I don't see any documented way to configure this.

Going one step further into the upfitter wiring diagrams, it should be possible to power the 3rd row dome light from the cargo area light via a jumper wire, without also powering all the other dome lights.

I'm not sure what approach I'll take, but if I'm dropping the headliner, adding a couple rock lights near the coat hooks doesn't seem to be much more effort for a lot more light.

Jeff

Antonm

Reaction score
Heck, wouldn’t even have to do big rock lights, they make all kinds of really bright, but still really small , LED lights now.

Whatever you do, come back and post some pictures of it.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The owner's manual says that all interior lights should come on when any door is opened (unless you have it configured differently/have the roof center console button overriding it)...

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to have the 3rd row dome light come on when the lift gate opens?

With the 3rd row folded, the cargo area is poorly lit by only the cargo area dome light but adequately lit when all the dome lights are illuminated.

I’m considering an aftermarket or custom solution, but it would be so much easier if this is a setting I just haven’t found yet.
Does yours have a 4th row light or no? IT seems as though they offered them up until 2016 or 2017 and then from then there on out they only gave 3 rows of dome lights. Sucks!

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
Heck, wouldn’t even have to do big rock lights, they make all kinds of really bright, but still really small , LED lights now.

Whatever you do, come back and post some pictures of it.
Antonm, do you have a recommendation for a quality, small, bright LED? I was thinking Rigid if I go with a rock light.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
The owner's manual says that all interior lights should come on when any door is opened (unless you have it configured differently/have the roof center console button overriding it)...
As per the owners manual, all 4 rows of dome lights illuminate when any of the passenger doors open. When the liftgate opens, only the 4th row (cargo area) light illuminates.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
Does yours have a 4th row light or no? IT seems as though they offered them up until 2016 or 2017 and then from then there on out they only gave 3 rows of dome lights. Sucks!
My 2023 has 4 rows of dome lights, the 4th row being just above the liftgate. It is simply not bright enough to illuminate the cargo area when the 3rd row is folded (practically all the time for me).

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As per the owners manual, all 4 rows of dome lights illuminate when any of the passenger doors open. When the liftgate opens, only the 4th row (cargo area) light illuminates.
What year is your truck? My OM states (I'm reading it right now), "The dome lamps come on when any door is opened." I haven't paid attention to whether or not that's true -- but that's what my OM says.

Antonm

Reaction score
Antonm, do you have a recommendation for a quality, small, bright LED? I was thinking Rigid if I go with a rock light.

Judging by the name brands of lights you're talking about, I'm guessing you want to go a little on the higher end of things. I don't have any suggestions for high end LED's, for all my other vehicles (the high country Tahoe is really my wifes DD, but we have a small fleet of other vehicles), I just use stuff like these (link below) off Amazon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
microfoxdev