Gap at top of lift gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95TahoeEdner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 1995 Tahoe with lift gate glass and tailgate. I have a gap about 1/2 inch wide at the top and when the lift gat is open it hits the high mount 3rd brake light. Are there any adjustments that can be made to the lift gate hinges? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Is the tailgate the original on the vehicle? I do not see any adjustment mechanisms on my 07 that would allow a 1/2 inch movement up or down.

Last edited:

Mater

Reaction score
there are in and out left to right adjustments

for the up and down gap you will have to bend the mounting hinge of gate or put in body shims. from them factory they did not use shims so i am assuming all the adjustment was in the hinge it's self over time when people open them to fast they can over travel and bend the hinge slightly causing misalignment

to gain access to the hinges you will need to remove all the rear plastic trim form the bottom of the carpet and the sides of the gate opening and the top. the bolts for the hinge are near where the rear speakers are mounted in the roof.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"for the up and down gap you will have to bend the mounting hinge of gate or put in body shims."

If that's the case, this sounds like a shop job where they have a jig to support the glass. That glass can't be light in weight and is most likely very expensive IF you can find them. Not something I'd personally want to tackle at home and risk breakage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlshort21