2020 Yukon SLT "service safety restraint system" help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vig1116

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am one payment away from my 39mo lease end. Due to the high interest rates, and I'd be paying hundreds more a month for the same msrp car, I am thinking about buying this out. Of course, 2 days ago, I get the "service safety restraint system" light on whenever I start the car or the first time each day, and sometimes throughout the day. It goes out fairly quickly, and it doesn't throw any long term codes that I can see on my obd2 scan tool. I see this issue being discussed on 2021 and newer models, but not earlier. Is this an easy fix? I can't seem to find much on it... Thanks!

OP
OP
V

vig1116

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just wanted to come back here and post an update in case people need help in the future. I went to the dealer yesterday. Of course being one month over the 36 mo bumper to bumper warranty, but 10k under miles, They did nothing to help. Excuses were plentiful and of course it's gm's fault. Even to go as far as saying the time and miles of the warranty are 2 separate things so pay the $165 diagnosis fee and get the $500 work done and then we'll send it in to gm and see if they'll reimburse you. (side note: when he saw I was clearly annoyed that I had to pay a month before I turned the truck in, he started making up more lies, like "well, the part is $300 so we're not charging you much in labor". I also asked for an itemized estimate for the $500 work and they said it's in the paperwork. Only the amount was there, not what they needed to do or part numbers. So, I paid the diagnostic fee and left. When I went home, I read the receipt they had given me for the diagnostics and it was clear they thought it was the drivers door harness that was bad. I proceeded to remove the door panel and removed the harness and started carefully peeling the tape of the harness that is inside the boot that goes from the door to inside the car itself. Wasn't long before I saw 2 totally broken wires, both leading to the side crash sensor. From 3 years of opening and closing the door, the wires couldn't hold any longer. I've heard this happening to different cars over the years, but this is the first time it happened to me. I spliced in about 2 inches of wire to each broken wire, so hopefully it will have enough slack not to break. Just put everything back together and all seems to be well. The part is $185 from gm, and some online retailers have it for about $120, NOT $300. The part number is on backorder with an unknown ETA or I would've just picked one up and replaced the whole thing... Hopefully this will help someone that wants to save $650 in the future....

markni12301

Reaction score
Thanks for the update and detail. This will definitely help someone in the future. It’s these kinds of posts and people that make this forum invaluable!

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is really cool you told us what to do. Usually SRS sensors always work and it is a connection issue. Once fixed the SRS light goes off.

Whodey78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just wanted to come back here and post an update in case people need help in the future. I went to the dealer yesterday. Of course being one month over the 36 mo bumper to bumper warranty, but 10k under miles, They did nothing to help. Excuses were plentiful and of course it's gm's fault. Even to go as far as saying the time and miles of the warranty are 2 separate things so pay the $165 diagnosis fee and get the $500 work done and then we'll send it in to gm and see if they'll reimburse you. (side note: when he saw I was clearly annoyed that I had to pay a month before I turned the truck in, he started making up more lies, like "well, the part is $300 so we're not charging you much in labor". I also asked for an itemized estimate for the $500 work and they said it's in the paperwork. Only the amount was there, not what they needed to do or part numbers. So, I paid the diagnostic fee and left. When I went home, I read the receipt they had given me for the diagnostics and it was clear they thought it was the drivers door harness that was bad. I proceeded to remove the door panel and removed the harness and started carefully peeling the tape of the harness that is inside the boot that goes from the door to inside the car itself. Wasn't long before I saw 2 totally broken wires, both leading to the side crash sensor. From 3 years of opening and closing the door, the wires couldn't hold any longer. I've heard this happening to different cars over the years, but this is the first time it happened to me. I spliced in about 2 inches of wire to each broken wire, so hopefully it will have enough slack not to break. Just put everything back together and all seems to be well. The part is $185 from gm, and some online retailers have it for about $120, NOT $300. The part number is on backorder with an unknown ETA or I would've just picked one up and replaced the whole thing... Hopefully this will help someone that wants to save $650 in the future....
Any chance you have that part #?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar