2017 XL Denali vs 2016 ESV Premium vs 2016 ESV Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of the Escalade to be a little bolder that is one of the things that would draw me to it.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not heard of anyone adding it. I will say that a premium is better than a luxury as far as the few features you will get (power running boards, lighted door handles, and intelligent cruise control vs standard cruise control). BUT the biggest complaint I hear about the big gm suv platforms is the intelligent cruise control doesn’t work well, and also a mechanical running board is an extra moving part that can break (hence I prefer the fixed that both of my Escalades have).

Also if I wasn’t going to test drive them, I would pick the 17, Bc it will less likely have the vibration/buffering issue we hear so much about. I test drove 3 16 models from luxury to platinum and they all had it, but the 17 I bought did not have the issue. When I told the dealer about their cpo cars, they said that’s the first they ever heard of that issue, so I made him ride along and pay attention.

For the same price I would go 17 just to avoid the vibration problem, and the extra year of warranty, but if I test drove the 16 and it didn’t have a vibration, and it was say slightly less in price. I would get the premium. Luxury msrp is 85, premium is 88-89k. Considering depreciation and no one can tell which model you bought. I would have to have the 16 come in at 2k cheaper

Very helpful information here. I’m curious under what conditions did you experience the vibration/buffeting with the 16’s? Was it the standard: drive at 35-45MPH over rough roads to check for buffeting; drive 75+ MPH to check for vibrations? Or did the Escalades exhibit something different under different conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very helpful information here. I’m curious under what conditions did you experience the vibration/buffeting with the 16’s? Was it the standard: drive at 35-45MPH over rough roads to check for buffeting; drive 75+ MPH to check for vibrations? Or did the Escalades exhibit something different under different conditions?

I test drove some '16 model CPO cars at my local dealer, both black ESV's, one a luxury and one a platinum. The Luxury had 30k miles and stickered for 65k, the platinum I believe was right around 70k with similar milage. I didn't notice the vibration till I hit the highway. It started at ~45 mph, and stayed with the car through 75mph. Believe it or not, I want to say over 75 it was less noticeable. I would say it just feels like an unbalanced wheel (EXCEPT your steering wheel doesn't vibrate). The car has a noticeable vibration, and if you look at the seats, you can see them move. I asked the salesman if he can feel it, and he said yes, I want to say I even pulled the visor down slightly to see if it vibrated and it did.

The salesman says this is the first he's ever heard of it, and noticed it. I said it seems to be popular online, and hence I wanted to test it. The platinum model had less of an issue, but I did notice it.

My 17 model is smooth till after 100mph. Over 100, the hood starts to shake.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're probably right but in the 'general population' (of which I consider myself) screaming 'I'm driving a cadillac' isnt a particularly compelling message and that was kinda my point. I agree the brushed chrome is nicer looking but in all its just not my bag. If they'd tone it down/class it up it'd be in the mix when I look for a new ride for sure.

Brand value:

Ford, $22.4 billion
Chevrolet, $11.5 billion
Buick, $2.3 billion
Lincoln, $1.9 billion
Cadillac, $1.7 billion
Dodge, $1.6 billion

Dont shoot the messenger. I came across it on gminsidenews.com.

https://www.rankingthebrands.com/PDF/Brand Finance Global 500 2017.pdf

That should be obvious. The "BRAND" is worth more b/c they sell more cars. The F150 is the best selling truck for the last decade or two, and there's millions of ford focus's and mustangs on the road.

There's far less of a market for a more expensive car like 50-60k dollar cadillac sedans, and 80k dollar SUV's, hence the brand has a lower net worth. But I don't think there's people walking around thinking a "ford" is a higher quality car or more expensive car then a Cadillac.

I think most people don't even know how much cadillac's cost, b/c they never look since they figure it isn't in their price range. I've had many people tell me, how much are new Escalades going for now a days, 50k? And I tell them 50k won't even get them in a fully loaded Tahoe.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be obvious. The "BRAND" is worth more b/c they sell more cars.

It’s not net sales value. It’s brand value. Doesn’t have to do with total vehicles sold.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...et-ranked-as-highest-value-brands-in-michigan

I think most people don't even know how much cadillac's cost, b/c they never look since they figure it isn't in their price range. I've had many people tell me, how much are new Escalades going for now a days, 50k? And I tell them 50k won't even get them in a fully loaded Tahoe.

That’s exactly the point. People think they sell for less than they do. The perception of value in the brand is low. They think ‘range rover’ or ‘MB GL’ or ‘cayenne’ they think $100k. They think ‘Escalade’ they think $50k as you noted.

Hell, people think Maserati and they think crazy luxury and price yet you can get into a Levante for less than a denali.

Last edited:

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that’s why one should just get what they THEMSELVES like, and not worry too much about what other people think. There will always be someone out there that will have a problem with your decision on cars. Screw them.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove next to a Denali this morning on a quick road trip to see the in laws. I would say they are more “blingy” than my escalade.

They have bright chrome grill, fog light surrounds, door handle trim, and body trim...

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove next to a Denali this morning on a quick road trip to see the in laws. I would say they are more “blingy” than my escalade.

They have bright chrome grill, fog light surrounds, door handle trim, and body trim...
Which also means the Chevy is more blingy :rofl:

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Even if you have an Escalade Base model. There is chrome side body molding, chrome trim on the fixed side steps. Front grill and fog light surrounds seem maybe chrome/silver painted... Same as the door handles, they are definitely not painted to match. Along with rear tailgate trim.

Front grill on the Yukon Denali seems to be only chrome on the surrounding trim, the mesh part is more like silver painted, not chrome.

Unless you’ve changed some of these trim pieces on your Escalade on your own what’s the difference again?!?!

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who know GM vehicles know Denali is a nice upgrade over Chevy, but I would say much of the population doesn't really know that GMC is an upgrade let alone a Denali. They just think that Denali is a really nice vehicle. But everyone knows that Cadillac is top level. The name Cadillac is part of the American lexicon, folks refer to the best of something as "the Cadillac of..." whatever. I think that's the main difference. Because I agree, from the outside the Denali is pretty blingy too. I like em all: Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n