Yukon vs Yukon XL MRC shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HomeMadeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2017 Denali (non-XL) and 2018 Denali XL. Almost identical options with only diff being sunroof in XL and color. Both have the Z95 RPO code and both have the same physical rear shocks from the looks of it (BWI Group AC39 on sticker).

I didn’t get a good look on the fronts, but when checking a couple of sources online there is some evidence the fronts should be the same but also some references suggest otherwise (non-XL vs XL). Anyone know or have a source that I can check? Tried RockAuto and GMPartsDirect

Thanks,

Z

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call your local dealer's parts department, and they should be able to tell you.

OP
OP
H

HomeMadeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, may have to surrender my on-line man-card but I did call a local dealer - same shocks as suspected.

And although we had two (out of 4 total between the two vehicles) that were obviously leaking, one was definitely the primary issue:

IMG_9485.jpeg

That’s about 2” give or take. Stuck like no other.

So while the issue was found, I’m not sure I’d pay to keep the Magneride system. In fact, I’m sure I will go classic and defeat the MRC system.

z

OP
OP
H

HomeMadeSin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Also, not sure if anyone else had a similar experience, but the nuts on top of the shock tower were about three frog hairs over 11/16”. Somewhere magically in no man’s land - 18mm was too big and 17mm too small. 11/16” worked but would not engage unless you tapped it on. 17.5mm would’ve worked like a charm if it existed…weird.

Also, for both vehicles I did not have to remove the wheel well liners. There was enough room to access the top shock tower nuts from the side. No need to mess with a-arms or linkages too. And finally, seemed easier to insert replacement struts from the top than bottom. YMMV.

z

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts