2017 Tahoe Premier vs Yukon Denali---which would you buy and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of me just doesn't know if I would feel satisfied driving a 6 cylinder turbo toy hauler.
I've owned several turbo and supercharged vehicles. But a 6 cylinder turbo truck...just lifeless.
A truck is supposed to be loud and raunchy and just sound like it tows.

I’m with you. I need to drive it. It’s faster, has more HP and more torque than a denali so it’s really piqued my interest.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of me just doesn't know if I would feel satisfied driving a 6 cylinder turbo toy hauler.
I've owned several turbo and supercharged vehicles. But a 6 cylinder turbo truck...just lifeless.
A truck is supposed to be loud and raunchy and just sound like it tows.

What I wonder about is longevity of the V6, can it last like ours? As a V8 fan I feel Ford has alienated customers like me. I’m with you there.

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with you. I need to drive it. It’s faster, has more HP and more torque than a denali so it’s really piqued my interest.
Is it faster though? People over at the F150 forums claim their Platinums they traded in for it was faster. And the 2018 3.5 Ecoboost got a redesign. Most people are pissed the new Raptors are slow compared to what it claims on paper, and they say it sounds terrible. I’ve never driven one but I know two guys have them. Not sure their thoughts though.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test-drove a 2017 Supercrew Lariat 3.5 ecoboost last week. There is nothing lifeless about that truck. It hauls ass and is very bit as quick as the Denali. 0-60 is well under 6 seconds. Throttle response was instant and the 10sp transmission was awesome. It still sounds pretty good but no, not quite as nice as a V8. You could easily fix that with an exhaust I'm sure. It will be a great engine in the new Expy.

I test drive a 2017 Yukon XL afterward and it felt a bit underwhelming and bus-like in comparison. Mind you it was the SLT, but I was really disappointed at how cramped the inside felt... especially the second row. The 5.3 pulled nicely but the transmission response is noticeably slower in comparison to the 10sp F150

Last edited:

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it faster though? People over at the F150 forums claim their Platinums they traded in for it was faster. And the 2018 3.5 Ecoboost got a redesign. Most people are pissed the new Raptors are slow compared to what it claims on paper, and they say it sounds terrible. I’ve never driven one but I know two guys have them. Not sure their thoughts though.

It’s more powerful and lighter so unless they gear it strangely it should be.

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I test-drove a 2017 Supercrew Lariat 3.5 ecoboost last week. There is nothing lifeless about that truck. It hauls ass and is very bit as quick as the Denali. 0-60 is well under 6 seconds. Throttle response was instant and the 10sp transmission was awesome. It still sounds pretty good but no, not quite as nice as a V8. You could easily fix that with an exhaust I'm sure. It will be a great engine in the new Expy.

I test drive a 2017 Yukon XL afterward and it felt a bit underwhelming and bus-like in comparison. Mind you it was the SLT, but I was really disappointed at how cramped the inside felt... especially the second row. The 5.3 pulled nicely but the transmission response is noticeably slower in comparison to the 10sp F150

Oh, I'm sure it is a more superior engine. My friend has a new Explorer sport. That thing is a rocket. But I just don't know if I would feel satisfied having that engine in a full sized truck/SUV.
I know I'm a bit dated in my view. But there is just something about a V8 engine and a nice exhaust. He does still enjoy getting behind the wheel of his 5.7 RAM.

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve driven 3.5 F-150s and I’ll tell you what, it just isn’t the same. It’s too quiet and doesn’t rumble. The 6.2 F-150s are a magical unicorn to come by but they completely blow that ecoboost away. I get the power, but it’s missing that sound and scream of the V8.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More horses, more torque, more towing better mileage.

a catback can probably add back the intangible of sound.

But I’m with you guys, there’s nothing quite like a v8 rumble.

Sent from my iPhone10z using Tapatalk

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I also test-drove the 5.0 V8 too. It had the 6pd tranny so it was really slow to respond vs the 10spd. I'm sure the 10spd in the V8 will be better but the ecoboost pulled better and, honestly, the V8 didn't sound significantly different. Marginally better at most.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that I also test-drove the 5.0 V8 too. It had the 6pd tranny so it was really slow to respond vs the 10spd. I'm sure the 10spd in the V8 will be better but the ecoboost pulled better and, honestly, the V8 didn't sound significantly different. Marginally better at most.

The small chevy V8 doesn’t sound like much. The 6.2 either for that matter. Really need a catback to wake them up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RanchoTexas