2017 Tahoe Premier vs Yukon Denali---which would you buy and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get those numbers...not in the manufacturer's best interest. Consider turbos (even with intercoolers) are very hot and the smaller engine must work much harder (and hotter). I suspect we'll start seeing numbers in three years and my guess (experience with turbo car and airplane engines) is the picture won't be pretty. Equally to the point, turbos are expensive to replace.

I didn’t. You’re right. My Denali gets way below its window sticker MPG when I whip it.

I don’t buy these beasts for mpg though. Or longevity frankly. I own vehicles for no longer than 5 years.

funymuny

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah.... I was just looking into it this morning and it looks like the Denali isn't AWD only. Maybe that was just the previous generation. I have full-time 4wd right now in my 4Runner Limited and I don't like that I can't drive in 2wd and have a manual transfer case to engage 4wd when necessary.

Old thread I see but I'll chime in. The 2017 Denali is available in the part-time 4wd setup...2H, 4H and 4L. I have it. In the 07 redesign the Denali was AWD. That was the reason I went with the SLT at the time; I did not want FT 4WD or AWD. Gotta say I love the 2017 Denali. I kept the 07 SLT but they are very different. I was more than a little annoyed at the time with the government bailout of GM but I finally got over it. The Escalade is a little more 'blingy' than I want. Denali hits the mark.

KTC1961

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just bought the 2018 Yukon Denali with the Ultimate Package. I agree with a previous poster that the SLT version is much more economical, but I bought the Denali anyway. I chose the Denali over the Tahoe because, at least on the 2018 version, the Ultimate Package has everything you could ever want. The Tahoe online build system was very confusing, it is hard to select options you want and then be told that it changes packages you chose earlier on. The Denali Ultimate package has everything, so you don't have to worry about what you're missing. The only negative about the Denali Ultimate package is that it only comes with one 22" wheel style and if you want a different wheel - you have to deselect the package. I bought a black one, so the wheels are perfect, but if you chose a different color, you'd probably want different wheels.

All in all, I love it so far. It is the most expensive American car I've ever bought, but it is laid out as nicely as anything I've ever seen. I'd recommend the Denali!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14