2017 Tahoe Key Fob Covers and Silencing OnStar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Kowalski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Greetings, folks!

I have a 2017 Tahoe Z71 Midnight Edition that we bought new in Wisconsin last summer. I have since been deployed overseas and have taken my car with me. Now, each time I start the car, I hear that annoying OnStar announcement prompting me to activate OnStar to start the free OnStar trial and stop hearing that annoying announcement. Since I am outside the US, the OnStar doesn't connect to OnStar, hence, I continue to hear that annoying announcement. Questions:

1. Anyway to override or turn off the OnStar system?

2. Anyway I can install a local GSM SIM chip through which I can activate the onboard WIFI?

3. Imperial vs Metric: Anyway I can convert the onboard instrumentation from imperial to metric? Mostly, the speedo and onboard thermometer.

4. Anyone know of a source for a decent leather key fob case for the 2017 6-button key fobs? Can't find them anywhere.

Many thanks!

John

CND17 BURBAN

Reaction score
I can only answer two of your questions.

2. Anyway I can install a local GSM SIM chip through which I can activate the onboard WIFI? No way to change the SIM Card/Chip as it is part of the system. You'll have to use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

3. Imperial vs Metric: Anyway I can convert the onboard instrumentation from imperial to metric? Mostly, the speedo and onboard thermometer. If you go into you menus on your dash and scroll down to the settings menu you can change what units are displayed. It will change everything from Imperial to Metric (temp, speed, tire pressure, Engine temp)

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) can you call onstar (1-888-466-7827, stateside number anyways) and get them to shut it up?

OP
OP
J

John Kowalski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can only answer two of your questions.

2. Anyway I can install a local GSM SIM chip through which I can activate the onboard WIFI? No way to change the SIM Card/Chip as it is part of the system. You'll have to use your phone as a wifi hotspot.

3. Imperial vs Metric: Anyway I can convert the onboard instrumentation from imperial to metric? Mostly, the speedo and onboard thermometer. If you go into you menus on your dash and scroll down to the settings menu you can change what units are displayed. It will change everything from Imperial to Metric (temp, speed, tire pressure, Engine temp)

Will try your suggestions (including contacting OnStar's 800 number). Many thanks!

John

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the fact that when switching to US or metric that all the readings switch over and not just the speedo as most vehicles seem to do. It is a pleasure to see Oil Pressure given is psi instead of that stupid kpa. PSI and degrees F as God intended. lol

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the fact that when switching to US or metric that all the readings switch over and not just the speedo as most vehicles seem to do. It is a pleasure to see Oil Pressure given is psi instead of that stupid kpa. PSI and degrees F as God intended. lol

no, no, no: Should be Celsius and Bars.AND Where is my liter of Cola?

OP
OP
J

John Kowalski

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am embarrassed to admit that I didn't realize that settings could be changed on the driver's info center. I had looked through the settings in the center info center and didn't find their the US/metric toggle. I, too, prefer the imperial, but the metric is useful when all speed postings are in kph.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only way to truly disable onstar is to unplug the module, not just the antenna or a fuse, not sure where it is located on your k2xx but it is most likely in the dash behind the stereo under the a/c control where it is on my nnbs, wifi is easy to do just buy a hotspot that runs off usb plug it in inside the console and forget about it that's what I did with mine it's not much larger than a credit card.
this is the one I use it has good reviews and I haven't had any trouble with it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-T-Mobi...370729&hash=item2a8366a8eb:g:Af0AAOSwuMZZKCRB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz