2015-2020 front bushings replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2017 has a terrible ride at this point. ive replaced all the z95 magnaride/air shocks with strutmasters kit. still getting a terrible ride. its very "clunky" over bumps, lots of jolting and chattering thru the cabin. there is a terrible rubber screeching sound when going over speed bumps that can be heard at any speed and is worse when cold outside. i noticed the control arm bushings look like they are dried out/cracking.
has anyone else had the issue? replace front control arm bushings?
i was looking at just the bushings which are cheap but install sucks/i dont have a press. so i was looking at replacing with Moog upper/lower control arm assembly with bushings and new ball joints. all the arms are about 500 vs bushings&install prob around 500.

also looking at a Autel controller to reset the ride computer.

anyone experience any of this?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've already moved on from what many consider to be the best GM suspension for these trucks. My recommendation is not to stray too far from the GM OEM suspension, if you want it to behave like an GM OEM suspension. Many have tried, but most don't like the results.

Dried out/cracking control arm bushings on a 2017 truck seems premature, but I don't know how many miles are on your truck. I recommend replacing the control arms as a complete assembly - new bushings and attached ball joints - with GM OEM control arms. Look at RockAuto.com and GMPartsDirect.com, and enter your VIN, as these 2 suppliers will sell you GM OEM parts at prices far below the dealerships.

When chasing down clunks, be sure to inspect your front differential mounts (steel mounts and bushings), your motor mounts, and you rear transmission mount, and your sway bar end bushings and center bushings.

@Fubar0715 can give you a suggestion regarding a bi-directional scanner that would meet your needs.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This ^^^^^^^ is good info. From personal experience, the sway bar frame bushings contribute to a lot of noise when worn. I just did my 2008 Denali and it's a huge change. I'm just starting to hear a little noisenover bumps with my 2017 Denali at 151k. I'm sure the 22 inch wheels don't help with bushing longevity either.

I'd replace them with new OEM ones and lube them well with silicone grease around the bar. Replace the end links too if they are rusty because they won't come apart. As mentioned, deviating from rhe OEM suspension rarely has the desired outcome.

You could also be hearing clunking/squeaking from your replacement struts. Aftermarket stuff is definitely prone to noises and premature wear.

OP
OP
Flyboygt

Flyboygt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
20240424_090611.jpg
here is a close up of the UCA bushing. The tahoe has about 60k miles on it. the sqeaking/clunking noise had been going on for close to a year before i swapped the struts and is still there so its not the struts. squeaking is rubber against metal sound. I will stick with the gm parts from here out.
going to take a closer look at the rest of the mounts. thanks for all the info!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59