2011 Tahoe Oil Gauge Showing Zero

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwmullis79

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick question. I have a 2011 Tahoe with 240,000 miles. Runs great and it’s my wife’s daily. Today coming home from work the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. I listened when she pulled in the garage and everything sounded normal as it always does. Oil level is fine. Checked codes and got a P0523 Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit High . I don’t think it’s the o-ring since the gauge was pegged at zero with no fluctuation (plan on replacing o-rings soon anyway). My first thought is to change the oil pressure sensor/screen.

Just curious if anyone has something else that they would suggest first or is that a good place to start?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome!

The oil pressure sensor can totally die and you’d never know it. It can also go bad like mine is right now and show your oil press going high to low, all wonky. When it hits zero the alarms sound, then when it goes back up, it goes off.

The only right way to replace it is to use a non counterfeit OEM GM / AC Delco sensor or you’ll be replacing it very soon.

GM says to access it the intake manifold must be removed. That’s a 7-$950 job. If you’re crafty you can watch a YouTube video that shows the combination of wrenches needed to simply reach in, undo the harness and unscrew it :) and put a new one in.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I have a 2011 Tahoe with 240,000 miles. Runs great and it’s my wife’s daily. Today coming home from work the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. I listened when she pulled in the garage and everything sounded normal as it always does. Oil level is fine. Checked codes and got a P0523 Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit High . I don’t think it’s the o-ring since the gauge was pegged at zero with no fluctuation (plan on replacing o-rings soon anyway). My first thought is to change the oil pressure sensor/screen.

Just curious if anyone has something else that they would suggest first or is that a good place to start?
Replace the oil pressure sensor, 12673134. Use GM OE parts only. Clean out the little basket/filter underneath it.

I find it easier to remove the intake manifold (gaskets are reusable) then to cut up my arms and cramp my hands trying to get at the sensor with it in the way. To each his own. Takes about 20 minutes longer but less aggravating for me and my house.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the oil pressure sensor being the problem. Shops love this job because the book time is 2 hours but they can do it in no time if they've done it before. They'll either wiggle it out without removing the intake manifold in 20 minutes (if the tech has small hands), or they'll R&R the intake to do it and the job takes 45 minutes.

With my bear paws, I'm with James and prefer to R&R the intake, but it's a bastard the first time you do it until you know what you're doing. Example: I farted around for an hour trying to get the fuel rail unclipped from the fuel line. Why? Because I hadn't relieved the pressure on the line first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts