2011 Chevy Tahoe Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NW Louisiana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe. It has 85,000 miles on it. It now has a jittery, rough ride. I have good tires on it and keep them rotated. Will new shocks and struts fix this? Any suggestions on kind to purchase or any other ideas to correct this issue?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives.

Did this jittery/rough ride start suddenly, or did it gradually come on?

Have the tires been balanced recently?

Where do you feel the rough ride - floor, seat, pedals?

Do you feel the rough ride in the steering wheel?

Are there any other symptoms, such as noises coming from under the truck that were not previously heard?

I would not replace the shocks and struts, until you've checked out some other items related to the truck's suspension first.

Other folks will chime in.

OP
OP
N

NW Louisiana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives.

Did this jittery/rough ride start suddenly, or did it gradually come on?

Have the tires been balanced recently?

Where do you feel the rough ride - floor, seat, pedals?

Do you feel the rough ride in the steering wheel?

Are there any other symptoms, such as noises coming from under the truck that were not previously heard?

I would not replace the shocks and struts, until you've checked out some other items related to the truck's suspension first.

Other folks will chime in.

I have good tire that I keep rotated. The rough ride is mostly felt in the steering wheel and the seat.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Chevy Tahoe. It has 85,000 miles on it. It now has a jittery, rough ride. I have good tires on it and keep them rotated. Will new shocks and struts fix this? Any suggestions on kind to purchase or any other ideas to correct this issue?

Welcome to the forum from south central LA!

Is your Tahoe an LTZ? Does it have AutoRide? If so, you can do a quick and simple test to see if the shocks are causing the stiff ride: Find an empty length of road with rough patches that you can compare with. Find a spot you can safely pull over. Unplug the electrical connector on either both front struts or both rear shocks or all four corners and go for a drive and compare the ride quality. Don't make any sudden or drastic turns or movements with the wheel as your Tahoe will feel top-heavy. You just wanna compare the straight-line feel of the ride quality. If it's much more compliant (it'll likely be TOO soft), then you know your problem is stiff shocks and struts. There are a lot of options to fix this depending on what you want and what you wanna spend.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does "good tire" mean? Just because the tire has 8/32 of tread doesn't make it a good tire. Is it a Goodride or a Michelin? 90% of vibrations are wheel and tire related.

OP
OP
N

NW Louisiana

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It has a set of Bridgestone Duelers on it. This is the same set of tires that came in it when it was new. This is the second set, I rotate them around every 10k miles.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those are decent tires but not the greatest tires ever but they usually do better on the GMT-900's than the newer trucks. If they're out-of-round though it will cause issues. I would get them checked by somewhere with a Hunter Roadforce balancer and find out the Roadforce readings, this will be the cheapest solution to at least finding out if the tires are good. A dealer will likely be your best bet as it's required equipment and there should be at least one person who is an expert on Roadforce for the newer trucks, so ask for that person to work on it. Once you know the tires aren't the problem then we can move on. 10k is also way too long for a rotate, 5k should be max.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo