2011 Burb - FML - What would you do here?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmaker

Reaction score
I was under the burb this evening replacing the sway bar bushings and noticed that my transmission seal around the yoke is leaking. I was like, wtf - this was bone dry a few weeks ago. Started thinking - just made two road trips to the west coast of Fl and Orl with no issues.

Brief history - I had the drive shaft replaced on 5/16/23 and it was dry - I assume they put in a new seal (I will verify tomorrow) - invoice indicates "New Fab, Tubing, U-joint, Weld Yoke".

Just before (like two days before) the trip to the west coast on 7/20/23 I had the EVAP hoses replaced, they did it really fast less than two hours. Guy mentioned to me that they dropped the drive shaft to get the tank down - I was kinda like wth since it was a brand new shaft, but figured they know what they were doing, no biggie.

Now I see this leak and I wanna blame it on the guys who dropped that tank. The drive shaft is scuffed up too, like a 6-inch line of scratches in the pristine paint.

what would you do here? Go to the shop that dropped the tank or call the drive shaft shop and tell them its leaking (assuming they put a new seal in), or just bite the bullet and have it replaced.

Before the new drive shaft
IMG_20230504_180006.jpg

Today
IMG_20230807_190837.jpg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Go back to the first shop who did the repair, and more than likely did it right. Ask them how to handle it. I’m sure they’ll puff up and be insulted the other shop ruined their work and even give you a few pointers on what may have occurred.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appears it leaked fluid when they pulled driveshaft and didn't clean up after.

I'd clean it up and then see if it's actually leaking

this.. use brake clean and get it good and clean, so you can see fresh fluid.

back story on the drive shaft? I'm guessing some drive shaft shop built you one? I can 99.9% guarantee they didn't changed the seal.. there should be a real seal under the dust cover you see. it installs in the back of the tranny.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
I stopped in the shop that did the EVAP lines and fuel pump (dropped tank and drive shaft). Told them what was going on and they said they will replace the seal at no charge. WooHoo! I went ahead and bought the AC Delco seal so they don't have to eat the parts ($25) and so that I know what is going back in.

OP
OP
R

rmaker

Reaction score
this.. use brake clean and get it good and clean, so you can see fresh fluid.

back story on the drive shaft? I'm guessing some drive shaft shop built you one? I can 99.9% guarantee they didn't changed the seal.. there should be a real seal under the dust cover you see. it installs in the back of the tranny.
The back story on the drive shaft is... (it's all detailed in another thread somewhere).. Bought this thing in April, had some issues, once I finally got a good road test on it - at highway speeds, it was shaking like a mf'r. Came on here looking for advice and several suggested it might be the drive shaft - to which I sort of scoffed at - turned out the drive shaft had a helluva ding in it and it was bent. Had a new one fabricated and installed. No more violent shaking.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The back story on the drive shaft is... (it's all detailed in another thread somewhere).. Bought this thing in April, had some issues, once I finally got a good road test on it - at highway speeds, it was shaking like a mf'r. Came on here looking for advice and several suggested it might be the drive shaft - to which I sort of scoffed at - turned out the drive shaft had a helluva ding in it and it was bent. Had a new one fabricated and installed. No more violent shaking.
Yet one more reason why this Forum ROCKS!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019