2010 Chevy Tahoe Disc Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Havens 5000

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Hello,

I go skiing and transverse upnand down steep mountains with my Tahoe. On long downhill desents, my stock brakes occasionally heat up. I'm looking into replacing my stock disc brakes with oversized high performance disc brakes. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you,

David

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stormin the link posted is for a brake upgrade from GMT800 series to GMT900 series brakes. GMT900 series (2007-14) is what the O/P has are the brakes in his 2011. He is looking for an upgrade from the GMT900 series.

Havens 5000 there are brake upgrades from Wilwood & Brembo available. Be prepared for some sticker shock.

Post up you findings.

Last edited:

stormin

Reaction score
whoops.. I thought I was in the 2000-2006 part of the forum.

thanks for pointing that out.
take care all

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me I'd look into installing a hydroboost system. The hydroboost works off your power steering pump it minimizes fade and increases clamping ability of the brakes.
I had a 2006 Tahoe SSV with a hydroboost system on it. It worked very well with minimum fade. My 2011 Tahoe needs this system too.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time you bled your brakes? A _little_ moisture in the fluid can make a HUGE difference in the boiling point of the fluid. That can easily make the fifference between stopping and rolling into n intersection with both feet on the brake pedal and white knuckles on the wheel.

TowGMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 6,500 lb trailer many times a summer, including up and over the Appalachian Mountains. I made a few simple but very effective changes to the stock brake system to handle the heat and resist fade:
Centric StopTech (formerly StopTech Powerslot) slotted front rotors, not much more expensive than quality stock rotors
Centric Fleet Performance brake pads- higher coefficient of friction, better fade resistance
ATE SL brake fluid- high quality DOT4 brake fluid that's original equipment in AMG Mercedes cars. Dry boiling point of 536 degrees where regular DOT 4 is 446.

I have never experienced fade. Even had the Denali on the race track once just for fun, repeated stops from over 90 and the brakes were fine for several laps before they started to go away, but that's probably the worst extreme possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuckWild62