2008 Tahoe Upper dash repair/replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There are write ups now on the procedure to remove the dash and replace it with a new one. Like you said, it'll just happen again. GM wrapped dashes on the 07-14 Esky's. They don't crack because there's UV protection in the leather and it protects the OEM black dash underneath.

I was one step away from having a shop wrap a 2nd hand dash from a wrecker. They were going to sand down any existing blems, refinish the entire surface and cover it in high UV protected leather that's sewn at the seams like the Esky.

The windshield was going to be pulled for replacement at the same time. That greatly assisted in the installation process of the donor leather covered dash on the 08 YXL Denali. I was all ready to go and ended up selling the truck to get a year later Esky with a leather covered dash.

@Doubeleive nailed it in his post below. Someone covered a Yuke dashboard with French seams at the appropriate points. The leather used is similar to what Porsche used to use and looks like dried up scr... after a few years. The leather Caddy used still looks new after a decade.

2013-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-Edition-1539723551.jpg

resurrecting again, saw pictures of one at a somewhat local wrecking yard
can't tell if it is a cap or not, but might be. it's a 2012 denali
View attachment 407031View attachment 407032View attachment 407033
82002D9A-6A23-472E-AC92-3E6809B53A32.jpeg

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen the replacement upper panel crack again.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen the replacement upper panel crack again.
Do you mean dashcap or replacement factory dash? (or just the front defroster panel?)

Because my 2012 has the newer design reinforced dash, still cracked in the same spots. Unless they have an even newer design.
Another reason maybe if it took 10 years to crack, you might have to wait another 10 on the replacement to know...

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because my 2012 has the newer design reinforced dash, still cracked in the same spots. Unless they have an even newer design.

Do you have the part number for your replacement dash? I have a new dash in the box and was considering reinforcing it before installing it. Your post seals the deal. It's getting epoxy and aluminum bars.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean dashcap or replacement factory dash? (or just the front defroster panel?)

Another reason maybe if it took 10 years to crack, you might have to wait another 10 on the replacement to know...

I haven't seen the replacement I/P upper trim panel or extension crack again after replacement. Yours would be a first. My dad's 2012 Sierra Denali replacement is about 10 years old; it was replaced when the truck was still under 3/36. He does need the extension replaced now but that wasn't replaced then according to the warranty record. Most of the extensions didn't break under warranty.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive nailed it in his post below. Someone covered a Yuke dashboard with French seams at the appropriate points. The leather used is similar to what Porsche used to use and looks like dried up scr... after a few years. The leather Caddy used still looks new after a decade.

The leather wrapped dashes aren't perfect either. The leather shrinks and most of the Platinums are pulling up a little around the little defrost vent or center speaker. I've never seen our body style bubble up but the C6 and C7 Corvette leather dash is very bad about it and I've seen numerous K2 Escalade dashes bubbling and peeling.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Any Platinum owners have this occurring? I’d love to have something to address preventatively. Pics?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the replacement I/P upper trim panel or extension crack again after replacement. Yours would be a first.

"08 Yukon 84k with cracked dash @ passenger air bag."
"27 months and 21,000+ miles later, the replaced dash has now cracked......"

"My 2010 Tahoe LTZ with black dashboard just had its second dashboard crack in the same area around the airbag on Passenger side. First cracked dash was at 53,095 miles on 9/06/2013. "

Nope, mine 'would' be the third, at least.

Dash threads make me :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo