2008 Hunting for gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the transmission on our 08 feels like it is from the Jurassic era but on long climbs the hunting for gears is frustrating. Ideally I would like to put a more modern transmission in like the later 6 speed that was offered but I don't think that is feasable. Do I have any other options?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could get a tune, which I believe would also adjust your transmission's shift points (At least, it did for my 07 Yukon XL Denali, with its 6 speed transmission, and the difference was about as significant as the tune to my motor.). Give @BlackBearPerf a call and discuss your needs. If they can tune your transmission, the difference could by huge.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the transmission on our 08 feels like it is from the Jurassic era but on long climbs the hunting for gears is frustrating. Ideally I would like to put a more modern transmission in like the later 6 speed that was offered but I don't think that is feasable. Do I have any other options?
In addition to what @Joseph Garcia mentioned, might try and put it in tow/haul mode abs see if that helps with the gear hunting.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Regearing your axle(s) would be another option. Expensive.

And don’t expect a transmission with more gears to shift less. Quite the opposite actually. The shifting is less perceptible because the RPM changes are smaller, but there’s more of them. I had a Colorado with the 8 speed and it would drop a gear at the slightest incline. Two or three on any real grade.

A tune can help you for sure, by raising the throttle position threshold for a downshift. But it won’t be a silver bullet.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regearing your axle(s) would be another option. Expensive.

And don’t expect a transmission with more gears to shift less. Quite the opposite actually. The shifting is less perceptible because the RPM changes are smaller, but there’s more of them. I had a Colorado with the 8 speed and it would drop a gear at the slightest incline. Two or three on any real grade.

A tune can help you for sure, by raising the throttle position threshold for a downshift. But it won’t be a silver bullet.
I am not expecting a silver bullet...well maybe I am. I do know that when we had a rental 18 'Burb it was much more of a pleasure driving over the passes of eastern Nevada than ours. The multiple gearing changes 1K RPMs not the 2-3K that it feels ours is doing now.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ll have that with a four speed transmission. 6L80e is a big upgrade in my opinion. To me it would be worth finding a newer vehicle with it installed as a factory option, but because they were used in that body style I reckon you could find a way to swap it over with used parts on the cheap!

Torque is your friend in the mountains.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I am not expecting a silver bullet...well maybe I am. I do know that when we had a rental 18 'Burb it was much more of a pleasure driving over the passes of eastern Nevada than ours. The multiple gearing changes 1K RPMs not the 2-3K that it feels ours is doing now.
What engine do you have? Downshifting with a steady throttle position on a climb is normal 4L80 function, 2 to 3k rpm is the norm with the 4.8 or 5.3. We traded in our 2008 4.8 tahoe for the exact reason you are describing, And that was after i changed the rear end from 342 to 373. It made a difference but not enough to make us happy.

OP
OP
Philpug

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have? Downshifting with a steady throttle position on a climb is normal 4L80 function, 2 to 3k rpm is the norm with the 4.8 or 5.3. We traded in our 2008 4.8 tahoe for the exact reason you are describing, And that was after i changed the rear end from 342 to 373. It made a difference but not enough to make us happy.
We have the 5.3 w/ 3.73 rear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ridnclean18