Need Some Parts Buying Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwing

Reaction score
My '07 Tahoe LT just rolled over 281.3k. Got a new long block around the 200k mark.

It's a long story, but I need to do some teardown on it for a water pump and a rear main seal. While I'm in there, I really should replace all 8 coil packs, all 8 injectors, plugs, and wires (plugs and wires we done with the engine, coils and injectors are OE).

I also need all new exhaust seals from the heads to the cats, a transmission filter kit, air filter, oil change stuff, yasa yada.

This is money I frankly don't have, but this truck is all we got. I straight up can't afford Autozone/O'Reily prices for all those parts, even Rock Auto prices make my heart sink. I can almost stomach Amazon prices, BUT, the reason the coil packs are OE is that I bought a set of 8 on Amazon when I did the engine, 1 was DOA, the 7 others dropped by one-by-one over the course of 5 months. So it was only $90, but that $90 was flushed money.

The coil packs, injectors, and waterpump are the big tickets for this job. Has anyone had good luck with any super cheap versions of those parts that weren't total garbage? Can you point me toward the ones you used?

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
March of 2020 I purchased and installed a new waterpump from amazon - $74. OAW brand # G9670, its still going strong.
I run NAPA orange Dexcool coolant.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to read about your issues. It appears that you already experienced the old saying, "You get what you pay for, at best."

You could try GMPartsDirect.com. Enter your VIN and see how the parts prices compare to those that you've already found.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '07 Tahoe LT just rolled over 281.3k. Got a new long block around the 200k mark.

It's a long story, but I need to do some teardown on it for a water pump and a rear main seal. While I'm in there, I really should replace all 8 coil packs, all 8 injectors, plugs, and wires (plugs and wires we done with the engine, coils and injectors are OE).

I also need all new exhaust seals from the heads to the cats, a transmission filter kit, air filter, oil change stuff, yasa yada.

This is money I frankly don't have, but this truck is all we got. I straight up can't afford Autozone/O'Reily prices for all those parts, even Rock Auto prices make my heart sink. I can almost stomach Amazon prices, BUT, the reason the coil packs are OE is that I bought a set of 8 on Amazon when I did the engine, 1 was DOA, the 7 others dropped by one-by-one over the course of 5 months. So it was only $90, but that $90 was flushed money.

The coil packs, injectors, and waterpump are the big tickets for this job. Has anyone had good luck with any super cheap versions of those parts that weren't total garbage? Can you point me toward the ones you used?
check the HERKO website for coil packs and injectors, they also sell on ebay
most if not all of there stuff is oem, some of it they grind off the oem part number and mark it with there own number.
why they do this is likely for legal reason's so GM lawyers will stay off there back they get a lot of overstock/over runs.
prices are very competitive, they are based in Florida and to the best of my knowledge they are not selling china knockoff's
I have purchased from them before a couple times and had no issue's

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score

this is proactive, or you're actually having issues?

If proactive, then fk that shit.
Run it until you have a problem.
but do the water pump, + hoses + heater core hoses + T's...

Reaction score
If your going to keep it for a long time buy parts with lifetime warranty locally like Autozone and Oreillys. The rest of the stuff online.

OP
OP
K

Kwing

Reaction score
this is proactive, or you're actually having issues?

If proactive, then fk that shit.
Run it until you have a problem.
but do the water pump, + hoses + heater core hoses + T's...

Call it reactive proactiviy? LOL

The rear main is leaking (at least that's only seal I haven't been able to rule out), so the transmission has to come out no matter what. That would mean exhaust seals by default, but it definitely means that because I didn't replace them when I did the H3 motor mount swap and it's had an exhaust leak ever since.

The water pump is leaking, so that's obvious. So with the whole front, back, and bottom being torn apart, and half the top by default, with 280k+ miles on parts that should have been replaced at 100k......... time is almost as tight as money.

It would suck to dig down into this job and then 2 or 3 months later, rinse and repeat :(

But no, other than some stumbling not significant enough for the ECU to flag, I have no reason to say the injectors and coils are bad. It just feels like playing with fire after this long...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts