2005 yukon denali Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ducks13

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve tried searching this forum but don’t get any hits for some reason. I have a 2005 GMC Denali with about 80,000 miles that I bought a year ago. It has a belt that has started squeaking badly, I’ve tried putting powder on it but it starts squeaking again in a week or two so I am planning to have the belts replaced.

I used to be a mechanic back in the 80’s and then I learned that if you don’t want to have on the road problems (on a GM vehicle anyway) that you should probably replace all belts and hoses at once, also replace the idler bearings and water pump and probably put a set of brushes in the alternator while you have everything relative east to get to at around 75,000 miles.
So my question is, what sort of failures of the above items and/or others should I expect on this vehicle at this age and mileage or in the next 20 or 30 thousand miles?

Thanks for any information you can provide.
John

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure. I just bought a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali XL. It has over 300,000 kms. Was owned by a business for a while in town. So far it runs great. Today I am just cleaning it with seafoam intake cleaner. Word to the wise don't shoot from the air box like I tried it doesn't work. Had to take the intake hose off the front of the engine and shoot in. Once the can is empty let it sit for 110- 15 minutes for a clean. Then you go for a drive. There will be lots of black smoke coming out but that is normal.

I have done this to many other vehicles. With any vehicle always spray directly into the intake manifold that way you get a good clean. A mechanic put me on this seafoam stuff and it is really good. It isn't ******* seals in fact it is all petroleum product.

We will see I am waiting then going for a drive soon.

Thankfully I lucked out they had all maintenance records in a folder for me.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried searching this forum but don’t get any hits for some reason. I have a 2005 GMC Denali with about 80,000 miles that I bought a year ago. It has a belt that has started squeaking badly, I’ve tried putting powder on it but it starts squeaking again in a week or two so I am planning to have the belts replaced.

I used to be a mechanic back in the 80’s and then I learned that if you don’t want to have on the road problems (on a GM vehicle anyway) that you should probably replace all belts and hoses at once, also replace the idler bearings and water pump and probably put a set of brushes in the alternator while you have everything relative east to get to at around 75,000 miles.
So my question is, what sort of failures of the above items and/or others should I expect on this vehicle at this age and mileage or in the next 20 or 30 thousand miles?

John
I would think sensors. Shocks. But so far my drive train seems good.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

John

Do the AC clutch while you're doing all the belty spinny things in front.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd vote both belts...and idler and tensioner pulley bearings (tensioners probably not worn out yet, mines got 160k on originals lol). The bearings are like 203's or 204's if i remember right. Mine didn't start making noise until about 150 but they are cheap. Way cheaper than whole pulleys if you have a press or vice. If you know how to rebuild the alt wouldn't hurt, again mine is original at 160 and no issues. Water pump again mine is original. AC clutch original...I'd change the heater hose fittings at the firewall due to age before they start leaking if they haven't been done.
Hoses are probably ok. Maybe I've just been lucky...
That all being said....100k is kinda a milestone for maintenance. Tranny filter/fluid (every 50), front diff fluid (every 50 or so), rear diff fluid (every 50 or so), t-case fluid (every 30 or so if its push button), coolant if it hasnt been done is way overdue due to age, brake fluid flush due to mileage, power steering fluid (see if it smells burnt, hydroboost is especially ******* fluid if it has it), spark plugs...air filter....throttle body cleaning...blah blah blah...
None of these things is super hard but can be time consuming and a little taxing if you get hit with it all at once.
Get an alignment check, most places do it free. It probably still has the factory alignment tabs in the upper control arms. If it does, chances are it has never been aligned. Shocks usually go around that mileage. Everything else suspension and steering wise should be ok.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second @mizzouguy

I just changed the belts on my truck here @ 130k, 15 years old. Moreover, all of the bearings/pulleys were inspected and I didn't find any faults.

I have another 2003 MY truck that also stays meticulously maintained and it got a belt drive overhaul last year:

It started with a new water pump and PS pump rebuild with output bearing. I think the belt tensioner assembly was fine but the pulley bearing was replaced. This truck has 2 idler pulleys and both bearing were replaced. The AC compressor I left bolted to the bracket but I pulled the clutch hub off & replaced the output bearing on that. Removed the alternator, had it tested then replaced the output bearing when it was confirmed to be in good working order.

I was chasing a noise in the pulley loop & it ended up being a faulty bearing on the engine block idler pulley, like the very last part I refurbished. There is a bearing supply store near my office that had every bearing I needed; I for sure bought the AC hub bearing @ AutoZone. Some bearings I replaced using some blocks of wood and hammer. For others I used my bottle jack as a press as needed. I looked up some of the bearings on eBay & Amazon; if you get the numbers from the bearing then you can order it online & have it mailed, if not for the convenience of a neighborhood store. It was a great project to keep me busy without the hassle of any complications or over-exertion of any kind.

I found a tip on belt noises. When it begins to make noise, squirt it with regular water from a spray bottle; only takes 2 or 3 shots to the most accessible portion, so don't overdo it. If the noise stops then the belt is at fault. On the other hand, tensioner or 1 of the various bearings at fault if noise continues.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thathighlife7