2005 Denali XL AWD - How does AWD work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So one wheel in the back and one wheel in the front won’t spin ?
if you get in some kind of predicament the best you can do is pull the abs fuse, then it can't read any wheel data.
most if not all of the awd drives have a g80 which is a mechanical (rear) locker which kicks in around 15-20mph wheel spin, the front is a open diff.
so basically it really depends at that point.
it should also be noted that if you are parked and lift one end or the other off the ground it will roll away on you, provided the parking brake is not set on the rear and you lift either end.
and if the parking brake is set and you lift the rear the front will roll away.
so pro tip never jack it up without wheel chocks on any kind of incline

SilverSport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not show a G80 on my RPO sticker nor do I believe the AWD GMT800s had a locking differential (at least not the G80) offered as an option...I'd love to find out I'm wrong...

I do recall reading that there was a G80 on the 2005 Yukon Denali but as I say, my RPO sticker does not show G80 nor did I see that offered as an option on in the brochure for the AWD vehicles like the similar Cadillac Escalade...

Bill

mhaywoodcz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do not show a G80 on my RPO sticker nor do I believe the AWD GMT800s had a locking differential (at least not the G80) offered as an option...I'd love to find out I'm wrong...

I do recall reading that there was a G80 on the 2005 Yukon Denali but as I say, my RPO sticker does not show G80 nor did I see that offered as an option on in the brochure for the AWD vehicles like the similar Cadillac Escalade...

Bill
Mine is a 2002 Denali with the G80. It's AWD but has the NP149 transfer case vs the newer Bosch. Don't know it has the works the same with the silicone coupler vs discs like the Bosch as far as power delivery

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not show a G80 on my RPO sticker nor do I believe the AWD GMT800s had a locking differential (at least not the G80) offered as an option ...
I'd love to find out I'm wrong ...

I do recall reading that there was a G80 on the 2005 Yukon Denali but as I say,
my RPO sticker does not show G80,
nor did I see that offered as an option on in the brochure for the AWD vehicles like the similar Cadillac Escalade ...
My Z71 does not have permanent AWD.
It has RWD (2Hi)
RWD that resorts to AWD when the rear wheels slip (Auto 4WD)
4Hi, 4Lo, and totally disengaged true neutral.

It also has a Gov-Lock G80, which means over 25MpH, I don't have a G80.
I'd not be surprised to find out that Escalades don't have Gov-bombs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts