2005 Denali XL AWD - How does AWD work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amallano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So, the short story is I rammed a snow mound in reverse and proceeded to lift the rear end off the ground. I know, I know. The front tires were still on the ground on blacktop. However I was stuck. The rear wheels were spinning, and the front was just sitting there. I would have assumed that the fronts would have pulled me out. I even shut off Traction Control..no dice. Had the embarrassment of having an Explorer basically idle me out. Any ideas why the front didn't engage and pull me out? I hope this is just my inexperience on how this AWD works and is not indicative of a major issue. Thanks in advance...

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With any 1 wheel off the ground AWD will not engage. The Transfer Case with all wheel drive has a clutch in it that allows differential between front and rear. To out smart the system you may have had success by setting the parking brake fooling the clutches in the transfer case into thinking the rear wheels were on the ground getting some traction.

Another trick that works sometimes is to apply the brakes and gas simultaneously with the traction control on...this starts a "stutter" of sorts with the ECM supplying power to alternate wheels.

I have actually done this on a 2005 Escalade AWD pulling a boat up a slippery ramp.

AWD systems cannot be "locked" as conventional 4 wheel drive can.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do all 4 wheels turn when my Denali AWD is on a lift then? I was having a corvette servo installed and the tranny shop had mine on a lift and they started it and ran it up to about 40 mph and all 4 wheels were turning.

Yukon John

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do all 4 wheels turn when my Denali AWD is on a lift then? I was having a corvette servo installed and the tranny shop had mine on a lift and they started it and ran it up to about 40 mph and all 4 wheels were turning.

The clutches in the transfer case are free wheeling. The same thing happens when you put a Non Posi single leg rear axle in the air...both rear wheels will spin. Often times you can hold the left rear, put the vehicle in gear and the right rear will spin....don't try it with Posi !!

nharkey85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With any 1 wheel off the ground AWD will not engage. The Transfer Case with all wheel drive has a clutch in it that allows differential between front and rear. To out smart the system you may have had success by setting the parking brake fooling the clutches in the transfer case into thinking the rear wheels were on the ground getting some traction.

Another trick that works sometimes is to apply the brakes and gas simultaneously with the traction control on...this starts a "stutter" of sorts with the ECM supplying power to alternate wheels.

I have actually done this on a 2005 Escalade AWD pulling a boat up a slippery ramp.

Second this. We used this concept on 4wheelers back in the day

OP
OP
A

amallano

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks much for the reponse. I guess it makes sense but it is kinda sad. Of course I am the dope that put myself in that situation. Certainly, I know a locked differential 4x4 would have been different. Maybe a Yukon SLE in my future! Thanks again.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With any 1 wheel off the ground AWD will not engage.

Sorry, I'm not understanding this so appreciate some learning.. If one wheel is on ice, wouldn't it be like being off the ground? Shouldn't the other wheels take over?

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Never thought of those, will have to log that in the brain tank for future use!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo

Latest posts