2001 Yukon XL Dies. Fuel issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2001 XL that has statred to die for no reason, the first time it done this was at a redlight. Truck turned off after the idle got real low, kind of like it was starving for fuel. Now it has started to get worse, this is my wifes ride so she has the kids with her during the day so say the least I need to get this fixed.

First I have no codes, had autozone check for codes and also check the battery and alternator. I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the key, I have changed the fuel filter still no luck. If it sits overnight it will die at least 3 or 4 times and after that it is good. I can drive all over town with no issues, park it and let it sit for a while say 3 or 4 hours and it dies when I try to start. Please Help!!!!!!

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue with this for Months now. Still have not got it answered yet. Can't wait to hear what these guys have to say. OH.... My usually does it with AC on and it's mild to hot outside.

Antonio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try cleaning the throttle body, not sure if this is indeed your problem but worth a try before spending the time and money on a fuel pump.

Also another thing you can try is when you go to start the truck after it's been sitting for a while is to turn the key almost all the way but not starting it, just get it sit on that spot for a few seconds and turn it off and do it again for a couple more times and then start it! It should give the pump time to pump up the pressure if that's the problem, and if that starts it perfectly then I'd be looking towards getting the pump pressure checked!

OP
OP
jamie2

jamie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Try cleaning the throttle body, not sure if this is indeed your problem but worth a try before spending the time and money on a fuel pump.

Also another thing you can try is when you go to start the truck after it's been sitting for a while is to turn the key almost all the way but not starting it, just get it sit on that spot for a few seconds and turn it off and do it again for a couple more times and then start it! It should give the pump time to pump up the pressure if that's the problem, and if that starts it perfectly then I'd be looking towards getting the pump pressure checked!

Have already cleaned the throttle body but it was no help, going to check the fuel pressure tonight. Should the pressure be the same with the engine on or off?

PwtrSS_OakCliff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a pressure gauge and check it on the fuel rails. I'm not sure what it's suppose to be at but I'm sure someone hear knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jamie2

jamie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I have changed the fuel pump and the truck ran fine for a couple of days. On Saturday it started again, it only happens when the truck is cold from sitting or night or a long period of time. Any ideas?

Jamie

JGARZA2213

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...... So the the throttle body has been cleaned, fuel pump replaced, and it's STILL doing it? Did you recently put a new battery in?

OP
OP
jamie2

jamie2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmmm...... So the the throttle body has been cleaned, fuel pump replaced, and it's STILL doing it? Did you recently put a new battery in?

Yes, I changed the battery when this issue started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jairmalonso

Latest posts