Engine dies - but why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
So was just out messing with it. I pounded, pulled and twisted on pretty much anything under the hood I could get at. It never missed a beat. I pulled one of the PCM connectors off and noticed something I've never seen before. There's some kind of oil in here. To me that's not normal.

uzbumwbme06pfp6jnf7jnh&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif

oh, you need to smell that stuff to see what it is.
If you don't know, then it's time to start sniffing fluids and compare! :jester:

lierrp4aw2qmk18ipxv19m&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif

lierrp4aw2qmk18ipxv19m&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
It also makes me wonder if you got some oil in that PCM somehow...

:hmmm2:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As noted before, oil can migrate through an electrical harness from a failed sensor seal.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ended up having trouble with it again today after work this morning and was supposed to be going somewhere with it but ended up leaving it sit for the afternoon (this after making a trip into town from work). Started fine when I returned a few hours later. On my drive home the engine very briefly cut out for the first time. But there is a registered code P0335 for the crankshaft position sensor now. Now we might be getting somewhere.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently though a new sensor requires a relearn process with a scan tool and I don't have one. So don't feel very good right about changing the sensor.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So ended up having trouble with it again today after work this morning and was supposed to be going somewhere with it but ended up leaving it sit for the afternoon (this after making a trip into town from work). Started fine when I returned a few hours later. On my drive home the engine very briefly cut out for the first time. But there is a registered code P0335 for the crankshaft position sensor now. Now we might be getting somewhere.
Crank Shaft Position Sensor you say? Hmmm……

Now you have something to work with.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A CASE relearn isn't necessarily "required" after changing the sensor, but it's recommended. Not doing it might show random misfires, or not.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had seen a couple things where the relearn wasn't required for AC Delco sensors. Is this actually true? I would think not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog