Engine dies - but why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Researching this myself but figured I'd see what the brain trust had to say. Has anyone had an issue where the engine just randomly dies? I've had this twice now this week. Monday I was driving through a parking lot at idle and the engine just died for no reason that I could tell. It started back up fin right away. The vehicle didn't lose electrical power. No fault codes to indicate anything related. But happened again tonight when I was sitting parked idling. My first was fuel pump but the reading I've done so far seems to say otherwise.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Researching this myself but figured I'd see what the brain trust had to say. Has anyone had an issue where the engine just randomly dies? I've had this twice now this week. Monday I was driving through a parking lot at idle and the engine just died for no reason that I could tell. It started back up fin right away. The vehicle didn't lose electrical power. No fault codes to indicate anything related. But happened again tonight when I was sitting parked idling. My first was fuel pump but the reading I've done so far seems to say otherwise.

I wouldn't wanna drag your chunky ass around in this heat, either.

... Check your battery charge, positive and ground cables. Loose ignition switch? Does your keychain look like this?

ratio3x2_1200.jpg

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub right, the thing can barely seemingly move its own ass sometimes :D

Anyway, battery is only a few months old but I can check the voltage in the morning. Alternator was actually just replaced a few weeks ago. I did read some stuff about failed ignition switches and pass-lock issues. Keys are pretty minimal though.

Attachments

• 20230817_215957.jpg
    20230817_215957.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 2

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check, as already said by @iamdub the the engine mass points.

Good idea would be ne to use a scan tool, show live data of ignition and injection, and look i case of engine failure, what you see. If it's a problem with engine control, ignition switch oder something else, you should see that they are both switched off.

I would also check the other relevant values/sensors like MAF, O2 sensor, fuel pressure.

I had once a car which had a similar problem and I looked a long time for the problem. In my case it was a combination of a clogged fuel filter, a weak O2 Sensor and a fuel pressure which was slightly out of range, due to a wear our fuel pressure regulator.

I had another car which had the same problem, there it was the engine control unit...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked battery voltage this morning. From sitting over night it was reading 12.3v and then 13.9v when running. The positive connection was actually a bit loose bit ground was tight. Suppose monitor for now and see if it happens again and then dive in deeper.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the loose positive connection was a good find this morning but it didn't fix the issue. The engine died on me twice tonight while I was in town. When this happens again though I need to pay attention to whether or not I need to cycle the ignition off for it to start again. The first time it happened tonight I had to try starting it a few times before it actually started, but it didn't start until after I cycled the ignition (maybe was just coincidence). I also didn't notice whether or not the pass-lock light was on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts