2001 Tahoe 2wd steering wander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
Just picked up an 02 Tahoe. Same poor tracking at speed. Wanders all over. I'm used to it and can keep it relatively under control. This is the 4th starting with a 1998 that has done the same thing. The 99 steering actually locked and I ended up rolling in a ditch.

So this new to me 02 is going for a couple of days and the power steering just stops. No weird noises, you can hear inside the pump like normal. No leaks. Fluid clean. Well GM decided to take a perfectly good steering system and put computer control to the hydraulic pressure with a solenoid on the back of the pump. Somehow, I found some information about a kit GM makes to fix the BS computer steering control. (I forgot to tell you without working power steering, there is no wander going down the road. Just as steady as a 20 year old truck without this crap). The part number is 19168825. It's a GM number, but OReally can look it up by number and find it. You won't find it without the number. It's like $50 or so. It has a new high pressure pump nut without all the valving inside, a pipe that fits into the new nut and allows the stock high pressure hose to hook right into the system. I suspect all the steering issues will be gone with this upgrade.

The earlier trucks have a collar around the steering column that can be replaced inside the cab that does the same thing. More to come on this one. I should have my new part tomorrow. We'll install it and report back as to the results.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BentletArnage- That is the EVO delete kit for 97-99 I believe. You may have better luck just changing the flow control valve alone, or with a shim kit (Bills Hotrod parts co P/N 1001) to reduce the pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork