2000 Yukon, had front end work done and now steering feels off at high speeds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renharp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After front end work, my steering now feels off , play in steering at higher speeds. I have taken back to garage x2 and they say everything is fine? Alignment is good, drives straight. Told me not to worry about it! I just drove long distance and there is definitely a problem? Before I take it to another mechanic, any suggestions?

OP
OP
R

Renharp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you driven on the highway with the mechanic?

Yes went for drive with mechanic over 80km and he did agree , there is some play in steering , but he says it's nothing to worry about? Spent almost $2000 with front end work & A/C
Taken it back twice, he says nothing wrong. He said it could be screw in steering box , he checked that another $100....still same conclusion?

Last edited by a moderator:

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He charged you $100 to adjust the steering box? Ugh... Welcome to the forum, where we all hope to save you lots of money.

If you take it to another mechanic, just have them drive with you and see what they think. Surely they'll do that for free.

If it was not sloppy but now is, then something is without a doubt out of whack. I assume you had the front end work done for you? Could you upload a photo of the invoice showing what was actually done?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He charged you $100 to adjust the steering box? Ugh... Welcome to the forum, where we all hope to save you lots of money.

If you take it to another mechanic, just have them drive with you and see what they think. Surely they'll do that for free.

If it was not sloppy but now is, then something is without a doubt out of whack. I assume you had the front end work done for you? Could you upload a photo of the invoice showing what was actually done?

nobody does anything for free, especially in the city. Diagnostic fees cost over $100, which is where the mechanic or technician look it over and hook up their gadgets, and sometimes it doesn't even take a man 5-minutes to find out what the issue is. Then you either pay them $120 and leave with your vehicle & sheet of paper stating diagnosis, OR allow them to make the $500-$1000 worth of repairs and have the $120 waived. If this is a small business, he could very well have botched a new part during the install and has no desire to re-do the labor and replace the part for nothing $$. "There ain't nothin wrong with it; feels pretty standard to me!" ya, my a$$...

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nobody does anything for free, especially in the city. Diagnostic fees cost over $100, which is where the mechanic or technician look it over and hook up their gadgets, and sometimes it doesn't even take a man 5-minutes to find out what the issue is. Then you either pay them $120 and leave with your vehicle & sheet of paper stating diagnosis, OR allow them to make the $500-$1000 worth of repairs and have the $120 waived. If this is a small business, he could very well have botched a new part during the install and has no desire to re-do the labor and replace the part for nothing $$. "There ain't nothin wrong with it; feels pretty standard to me!" ya, my a$$...

This is a very good point... If you are unable to do the work yourself, you are at the mercy of mechanics. If they say it is done and done correctly, you have no choice but to trust them or go elsewhere. That being said, surely you can go to another shop and have them take a spin with you. Obviously you'll have to pay them if they're going to get underneath the truck to ensure everything you paid for was actually done and done properly.

OP
OP
R

Renharp

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of the bolts on the steering linkage wasn't torqued to spec. Or the steering gear shaft could have been damaged if the pitman arm was pounded on or if a pickle fork was used to separate it from the shaft.

Don't know. I'd get a second opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157