1st GM Product This Century!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cekkk

Reaction score
I just bought my daughter's 2014 Denali EL, I guess it is. She bought a '17 a couple months ago. With triplet daughters, age 8, and a son two years younger, She and her husband need big cars. Along with the last year of the Hummer, they have VW that they use when the kids aren't going along.

Having lived on five miles of rocky road in the Rockies, where we experienced snow in all 12 months in one year or another, and needing AWD frequently and 4WD not infrequently, we've just gotten used to large, 4WD SUVs, even though there are just the two of us and some dogs that like to go for rides. (The Denali is 2WD)

This '14 has 55k on the odometer and I'm wondering what are likely problems I may face. The kids didn't have any problems worth mentioning, but my '95 Yukon, one of the first 4-doors to hit our then area, was a real loser. Then I did it again in '97, buying my DW a new STS. It was a beauty, almost candy apple red, and was fine in the city. But soon after retiring to rural Colorado, problems, expensive ones, cropped up and we dumped it for our 2nd Expedition. Since then we bought two more, an '04 XLT and a '13 King Ranch, both of which we still own. Of four Expys, we've had one problem, a transmission in the 2000 that was replaced under warranty.

So I'll be posting questions as a GM/GMC newbie, basically.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. At 55K, it's still new. The engines in these models (known as the "LS" platform) are WORLDS ahead of the ol' Gen2 Vortec. The first items that come to mind of problems you're likely to face are broken motor mount(s) (driver's side first) and dash cracking. You may have issues with the door lock actuators, including the one in the rear hatch. Most anything else will be normal wear items beyond 100K miles.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
Welcome. At 55K, it's still new. The engines in these models (known as the "LS" platform) are WORLDS ahead of the ol' Gen2 Vortec. The first items that come to mind of problems you're likely to face are broken motor mount(s) (driver's side first) and dash cracking. You may have issues with the door lock actuators, including the one in the rear hatch. Most anything else will be normal wear items beyond 100K miles.

Thanks, I'll start making notes in the back of the owners manual and be watching for those.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, my 13 tahoe i purchased new has 55k now and i have not experienced any real problems at all, a rear shock was blown out @ 3k and replaced under warranty. I even have a snow plow on mine and i have no complaints. The other 'problem or issue' for me is the afm (active fuel management) or dod (displacement on demand) where the engine switches between v8-v4 mode, i bought a device called a 'range' which turns that feature off. To me it make the truck hesitate or lag when you step on the gas, some feel it, some dont. It is gm's way of saving fuel so they can claim the truck gets better gas mileage....it makes some engines fail or use oil and is generally no good imo. Your denali may have a 6.2l engine and im not sure they put that in those engines ( someone correct me please) but its just something to look into. Other then that, you have a great truck and good luck with it.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
I thought I saw a V4 on my information panel. I will get that range if I can find it. Perhaps you could post a link period and Nathan Jack's, I will read your link.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Craig!!

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcomes. Posting this to see my new signature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645