1st GM Product This Century!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
I've caused confusion. We left Colorado in October for sunny SoCal. I'd never have a non 4WD back there. AWD alone wouldn't suffice at 9000'!

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've caused confusion. We left Colorado in October for sunny SoCal. I'd never have a non 4WD back there. AWD alone wouldn't suffice at 9000'!
Ahhhhhhh, makes so much sense.

The Denali AWD system is pretty similar to a 4x4 system, just allows some more torque movement. With a locking rear diff, I've never had a situation with mine where I felt like 4x4 would have given me some advantage, and I spend lots of time both on the highway and backroads in MN and IA, and farms and field-roads.

OP
OP
cekkk

cekkk

Reaction score
In my experience awd isn't. As a wheel begins to slip, power is applied to another wheel. Having spent decades living at 9000' in the Rockies, all of our vehicles were awd and true 4wd, most with manually locking hubs. Why? In one case I was pulling my TT into its barn w hen the front tires began to slip. Foolishly I went into electric 4wd. Applying slight power sent the front of the truck sliding maybe a foot sideways. I got out and locked the hubs but the damage was done. The trailer was now going to move over just enough to cause damage to it's awning when I moved forward or backward. Locking hubs allowed the truck to drive straight forward. Lesson learned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu