1999 Tahoe rides like a tank after drop!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99cleanhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm hoping this post will lead me into some new information. I know many people have their opinions here, but I need some help. Last summer I lowered my Tahoe 2/4. I'm using McGaughy spindles and McGaughy hanger/shackles combo in the rear. It looks GREAT! But it rides like crap!! I mean a big steaming pile!!!!! I'm not sure if it's the shocks I have or what. I'm using toxic drop shocks and riding on Foose Nitrous Legend 18's with 255/55/r18 rubber. The back end is super, and I mean SUPER stiff. It feels like the rear axle is welded so it won't move. Kinda like a hardtail chopper. I cut the bumpstops down and it still feels like I'm bottoming out in the rear. The front feels pretty good. It's just when I hit bumps in the road it feels like I'm riding on square wheels. Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!!

718frankb

LOCAL 282 TEAMSTERS
Reaction score
for the rear bumpstops did you cut the bracket off or just trim the stop? i cut my bracket off and have no problems . im riding 20"s with a 3/5

OP
OP

99cleanhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks. I only cut the bumpstops down. I didn't take the brackets off. I'll try that tomorrow and see how it rides. Recommend good shocks? What brand?

thehoe92

fo sho
Reaction score
any Belltech shocks will ride great!

are the toxics the right length?

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bump stop bracket has a bolt on one side and a rivet on the other
I just took the bolt out then spun the bracket around out of the way

once u move that bracket it will ride better but u mite look into gettn a c-notch
that will make it ride way better

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping this post will lead me into some new information. I know many people have their opinions here, but I need some help. Last summer I lowered my Tahoe 2/4. I'm using McGaughy spindles and McGaughy hanger/shackles combo in the rear. It looks GREAT! But it rides like crap!! I mean a big steaming pile!!!!! I'm not sure if it's the shocks I have or what. I'm using toxic drop shocks and riding on Foose Nitrous Legend 18's with 255/55/r18 rubber. The back end is super, and I mean SUPER stiff. It feels like the rear axle is welded so it won't move. Kinda like a hardtail chopper. I cut the bumpstops down and it still feels like I'm bottoming out in the rear. The front feels pretty good. It's just when I hit bumps in the road it feels like I'm riding on square wheels. Suggestions? Any help would be appreciated!!

Man I have the same drop and mine rides like shit also even with drop shocks! Let me know how it rides with the bump stops off.

roadrageror

ROADRAGEROR
Reaction score
i have a 99 denali got it lowered 4/4 and it rides like crap in the back too.lol i was thinking of helper bags but havent really looked into info yet.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
on the 4 doors even with the 1/2 inch djm bumpstop on the frame still rides tuff in the rear. You can get a better ride by doing the 1/2 inch bumpstop but for a good ride you will need to notch it.

imtbear69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the C notch and switch to belltech shocks there the best and what i run on mine with a 4/6 drop and rides smothe as a stock suspension

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shari_s