1999 Denali U-joint parking brake issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Highmay

Highmay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How far does it roll? Or how much further does it roll now vs before?
Well I get nervous and don't let it go more than 6 or 7 in before I stop it by using the parking brake and and it never moved before. it started rightrafteri broke the U-joint and continued after I fixed it

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to put the whole story together... what were you doing when the ujoint broke?

OP
OP
Highmay

Highmay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Trying to put the whole story together... what were you doing when the ujoint broke?
I was at a Goodwill parking lot came outside try to reverse my car and I heard it snap it fell to the ground I saw the pieces on the ground so I pulled the front Driveline. Don't use 4x4 anyways. The next day when I got to work went to put it in park it kept moving I pressed on the break to stop. Realized only thing was going to stop it was the parking brake . Replaced with new U joints and U-joint clamps put front Driveline back in with new parts and problem continues. It rolls till the parking brake is on.

OP
OP
Highmay

Highmay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was at a Goodwill parking lot came outside try to reverse my car and I heard it snap it fell to the ground I saw the pieces on the ground so I pulled the front Driveline. Don't use 4x4 anyways. The next day when I got to work went to put it in park it kept moving I pressed on the break to stop. Realized only thing was going to stop it was the parking brake . Replaced with new U joints and U-joint clamps put front Driveline back in with new parts and problem continues. It rolls till the parking brake is on.

Update. I let it roll after I put it park and every fast second I heard a metal

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you broke a ujoint on the front driveshaft? The one going to the front diff coming out of the transfer case? This is getting even better. And by better I mean odder lol. Were you driving around in 4WD by chance? I know you said you don’t use it, but not seeing how a front driveshaft ujoint will break in 2WD.

OP
OP
Highmay

Highmay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So you broke a ujoint on the front driveshaft? The one going to the front diff coming out of the transfer case? This is getting even better. And by better I mean odder lol. Were you driving around in 4WD by chance? I know you said you don’t use it, but not seeing how a front driveshaft ujoint will break in 2WD.

I know it's odd but it is what it is I'm almost 100% sure that it wasn't in four-wheel drive I've never myself put it in 4-wheel drive I was just hoping to figure out how to fix this and keep my car from Rolling after it's in park without the parking brake . I'm not sure that I mentioned it but now I let it roll Just To See and it clicks every half a second as I'm really I'm not sure if that helps

bigfootchiro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like there’s more than one issue occurring here. Park prawl definitely possible. Have you just let it roll until it grabs yet? Obviously done in a safe spot.

OP
OP
Highmay

Highmay

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like there’s more than one issue occurring here. Park prawl definitely possible. Have you just let it roll until it grabs yet? Obviously done in a safe spot.[/QUO I have not let it roll purposely but there has been a couple situation since then it has ruroll about three maybe four and it never caught

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jaime, I have read your post complete, and believe you have two (2) different problems. If you take all the drive shafts out, the vehicle will not move if you apply the parking brake . If it moves when in park, either the parking pawl as mentioned by OP is either BROKEN or the gear selector is OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. Good luck.
David g
..........:2cents:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM