1996 Tahoe gas gauge reads over full always

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tactical Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so I just picked up a 96 Tahoe and for the most part I'm loving it. (That coming from a died in the wool ford guy). Problem is the gas gauge doesn't work it reads over full all the time. I does move a bit with fuel slosh. But doesn't seem to go down or anything I'd say it reads at least a 1/2 tank over full. How do I fix this so I don't get the upset angry call from my wife that she has run outta gas.

BladeMaker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel level sending unit is toast.
It's mounted on the outside of the fuel pump assembly. I'll see if I can upload a pic for you. Of course it's inside the fuel tank so if that is indeed your issue then you can either drop the tank to access it or cut a hole in the floor under the carpet beneath the rear drivers side seat and access through there.
If your pump is running good you can replace just the fuel level sending unit. It's just a couple of wires and a plastic clip on the outside of the plastic pump body I believe. I've never actually replaced one without Doing the entire fuel pump assembly. If you go through all the trouble of dropping the fuel tank out of the truck then I would do the entire unit because that's a lot of hassle to go through twice.
Personally, my truck has an access hole cut in the floor. It saved me a ton of time. That being said, as often is the case with shortcuts, it can be dangerous because you are cutting steel next to a tank of fuel. If you're handy with an angle grinder it works like a charm but there's only a couple inches space between the tank and floor. Don't cut to deep or you might start a fire or explosion. I'm pretty sure theres a write up somewhere on this site about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157