Fuel Sending Unit/Gauge - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious if the loose item is something that snaps in or screws on, or just wasn't installed properly (if it's an actual separate piece). Or maybe it's just broken.
Tried to take pictures, just wasn't detailed enough. Looks like both - not properly snapped in (the electrical bands) or not installed properly. Definitely significant more play than the delphi set up. I will take it apart and see if I can figure it out. First, we need to see if this new pump assembly fixed the problem.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2001 Yukon exact same. Fuel level reads accurately below 3/4-Tank but when full the level and the low fuel warning light are intermittent. Gage will suddenly read low, and warning light illuminates, for a few minutes then returns to normal.

Chevron fuel treatment concentrate didn’t help, but it probably helped the overall fuel system.

Will I need to eventually drop the tank and replace the pump/level sender assembly?

Attachments

• IMG_5092.jpeg
    IMG_5092.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 2

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tried to take pictures, just wasn't detailed enough. Looks like both - not properly snapped in (the electrical bands) or not installed properly. Definitely significant more play than the delphi set up. I will take it apart and see if I can figure it out. First, we need to see if this new pump assembly fixed the problem.

Curious. I think you said you replaced it a few years back with an AC Delco, IIRC. Wondering what level of AC Delco.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2001 Yukon exact same. Fuel level reads accurately below 3/4-Tank but when full the level and the low fuel warning light are intermittent. Gage will suddenly read low, and warning light illuminates, for a few minutes then returns to normal.

Chevron fuel treatment concentrate didn’t help, but it probably helped the overall fuel system.

Will I need to eventually drop the tank and replace the pump/level sender assembly?
To be honest, pretty sure my issue will be fixed with the new unit. But, until I get it hooked up later today, unable to verify right now. My issue just kept getting worse to a point I didn't trust what I was reading and quite frankly it was pissing me off. Hope to mark this one "Solved" by the end of the day.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I do keep all my records. I will look up when I get a chance. Pretty sure I purchased from Rock Auto.

Well, if you did, they might warranty it for you. There are several levels of ACDelco quality, but the MU2294 pump shown for the FF engine is the Gold level, one down from Genuine GM. Not sure what came OE with these trucks.

The MU2294 is the same pump my '04 took when I replaced it.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if you did, they might warranty it for you. There are several levels of ACDelco quality, but the MU2294 pump shown for the FF engine is the Gold level, one down from Genuine GM. Not sure what came OE with these trucks.

The MU2294 is the same pump my '04 took when I replaced it.
Yes, it was a the gold MU2294.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SOLVED. Pump installed and tank back up in place. Wow, much easier dropping the damn thing. Fuel gauge/quantity working perfectly. Filled up. Correct "full" reading then drove for about 50 miles. No issues what so ever. Remained steady with no fluctuations. Didn't mention this in my comments when I replaced the fuel pump almost 2 years ago - but I was having no luck with getting the lock ring off with a screwdriver/punch and hammer - so I purchased a tool. Made removal and install pretty easy.

20240225_121356_resized.jpg
20240225_121433_resized (1).jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the walk-through and posting the details of the solution.

I had to pull my pump (exactly the same as yours) a couple of years after replacing it, to replace a defective gasket. Not sure if we wrinkled it a little when it went in, or if it was malformed and we didn't notice it. Weird that it didn't cause an evap leak until so long after install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019