1996 Tahoe (4 dr) 4x4 light flashing, but not locking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if you are moving in gear that should not be possible to switch from high to low or back. you would have broken a component in the tcase somewhere. you sure you dont mean 2hi to 4 hi or vice versa. what mode were you in and what light was doing what and when it changed how did the lights change?

boots1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was driving in 4hi and I just switched to 2 hi when I am stopped and in neutral I can feel it switch in and out of low range in the tcase but it does not lock the front dif 4 hi flashes and four low flashes

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
neutral is only require when going in or out of 4lo only.2hi to 4hi or vice-verse can be done at any speed. you can remove the front actuator and observe it operation with ignition key on and in park it should extend within a few seconds when you press 4hi. if not check for voltage on the light blue wire. start with that.

boots1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
where are there commonly shorts I found number 24 fuse burnt replaced it tried going into 4 hi and it poped the fuse instantly

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

im currently searching through haynze manuals for a wiring diagram but can't find one

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
there is a harness on the front actuator trace it back to the transfer case switch and then to firewall bulk head connector. fuse to switch is brown wire. from switch to actuator and feedback switch are both light blue wire. all harnesses should flow on the left hand side of chassis.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

boots1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you for your help I found out it was a dead short in the actuator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members