1996 Tahoe (4 dr) 4x4 light flashing, but not locking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96Tahoe4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi this is 96Tahoe4x4.

So here's my problem: When I press the 4 HI button, you can hear the hubs wanting to engage, but they don't...however, the 4 HI button light continues to flash. It was doing the same when 4 LO was selected (a week ago), but today (9/26/2011) 4 LO did engage. BUT...still no 4 HI...light still flashing.

Anyone have and suggestions/advise? I'm totally open to 'em.
(NOTE: front actuator passed --> works)

Thanks!

Last edited:

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there lube in the front diff?
And check your actual switches, the lights on mine went bad so for the longest time i thought my actuator wasn't working when in reality all was fine.
Also, are you moving, or stopped when engaging the 4HI? Ideal way is to be just at a walking pace.

As for 4LO, mine is kinda finicky too after not using it all summer, i found that if i get the truck moving slowly then flick it into neutral and engage 4HI, it works a lot easier.

OP
OP

96Tahoe4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely time to switch out the fluid. I'll check the actual switch as well. I've attempted to engage 4 HI between 5 and 25 mph, but not feeling it lock-in.

Thanks for following up. Your rig is beautiful.

BattelWagun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for following up. Your rig is beautiful.

Thank you! :Handshake: its pretty much stock but I try my best to take care of her.

As for you not feeling it engage:

How did you test the actuator?

Are there any issues with any of your speed sensors? if the t-case is getting a bad reading it could cause 4wd not to engage.(i.e.-sensing the the vehicle is going over ~30 mph, the 4HI cutoff speed.) The most common issues are those damn actuators on the front diff, and sometimes little relays or switches.

OP
OP

96Tahoe4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You welcome.

I tested it by opening the hood and standing outside the truck while pressing the button. Then I took it to my mechanic, who put it up on the rack.

I didn't even consider the speed control sensor. That's a great idea. Thanks.

Yesterday I was thinking about just buying the new actuator. I went to O'riellys and priced it at $45. I was there picking up nine quarts of gear oil for the front and rear diffs.

Today I'm pretty sure that I'm going to just change out that actuator. Really want to resolve this before the cold weather gets here.

You've been a huge help w/your ideas.

OP
OP

96Tahoe4x4

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey,

Yep, still having a prob w/it.

I just purchased gear oil, and am going to drain and refill the diffs. However, I am fighting a cold right now. So I'll do it in a day or two. I'm also going to go ahead and switch out the the front diff actautor for $45.

Tahoe2_09152011.jpg

Last edited:

boots1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am having the same issue lights flashing but I feel the transfer case shift into low and high range but I am unsure as to what the power is supposed to be at the actuator I am only getting about 1 v dc to 800 mvdc
im used to the old chev setup like manual front hubs and theold 208 transfer cases please help

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I am having the same issue lights flashing but I feel the transfer case shift into low and high range but I am unsure as to what the power is supposed to be at the actuator I am only getting about 1 v dc to 800 mvdc
im used to the old chev setup like manual front hubs and theold 208 transfer cases please help

year and 4x4 type please?

boots1986

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
96 Tahoe 2 hi 4 hi 4 lo it happened while driving 50 kilometers an hour just disengaged and won't go back in I feel it shift from hi to lo range in the transfer case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011