Tailgate not unlocking 2008 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bloodynj

Reaction score
I have a 2008 Tahoe and my non powered tailgate doesn't unlock. (The tailgate glass opens but not the tailgate itself).

- I checked Fuse #10 and #11 in the side panel of the cluster marked as UNLOCK2, LOCK2. Both looked fine but I replaced them regardless and still nothing happened.

- I replaced the actuator (non-powered) and it still doesn't open.
When I press the unlock/lock buttons I don't hear any sound in the tailgate area (is there supposed to be locking/unlocking noise when I press the buttons on my remote)?

what's the next step I should take?

P.S. When you press the unlock button on the remote, is there supposed to be sound in the tailgate?
I'm trying to see maybe its the pad on the tailgate handle where I press to open the tailgate that is bad. But there is no sound whatsoever when I click the unlock/lock buttons. So I'm assuming its not the pad yet and the problem is somewhere else.

In the mean time I'm opening the tailgate by pushing the metal piece attached to the actuator.

mr tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make any noise when unlocking it and there is one fuse under the hood fuse 44 i have the same problem checked everything and changed the damn latch still nothing i really hate these liftgates....

OP
OP
B

bloodynj

Reaction score
Glass opens fine and door switche dont unlock it? Is there power to the actuator?
The glass works fine. it unlocks. I replaced the actuator for the door latch of the tailgate. When I press unlock I dont hear any sound from it. does it supposed to make a sound when you unlock? I'm talking about the whole tailgate no the glass part.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it does make a sound when unlocking.

I now it for sure does when pushing the button to open. I had some what of the same issue with mine. My button was corroded and the wire connections were broken off inside the button. I first replaced the actuator thinking that was the issue and did not fix it. So if you need another actuator I got a used one for you cheap, just gotta find where I put it.

Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bloodynj

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that it does make a sound when unlocking.

I now it for sure does when pushing the button to open. I had some what of the same issue with mine. My button was corroded and the wire connections were broken off inside the button. I first replaced the actuator thinking that was the issue and did not fix it. So if you need another actuator I got a used one for you cheap, just gotta find where I put it.

Good luck.
When you press the button on your remote it makes a sound in the tailgate? I know you hear it in the doors but what about the tailgate?

Are you talking about the button in the trunk handle? Ie. The touch pad? I just ordered that today to see if it's The problem. I already replaced the actuator.

AppocAlexx

Darth Appocalexx
Reaction score
Yea the touch pad was bad on mine. After I took it out I took it apart and the wire was all green corroded and broke off one of them. Next time I get out the truck ill give it a shot and put my ear up to it and see if I can hear it. Now that you said that about the doors you have me second guessing myself. lol

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure it does make noise when you unlock, def when you push pad. Someone else on here had same thing. I think water gets into the pad part like i told that guy, if the widow works and all other locks do its localized to button because he replaced actuator too andvstill nothing...

OP
OP
B

bloodynj

Reaction score
Yea the touch pad was bad on mine. After I took it out I took it apart and the wire was all green corroded and broke off one of them. Next time I get out the truck ill give it a shot and put my ear up to it and see if I can hear it. Now that you said that about the doors you have me second guessing myself. lol
Yes please let me know as soon as you can. Thanks a lot! If it doesn't make a sound when you unlock with the remote then maybe my problem isn't the actuator and it's the touch pad itself.

OP
OP
B

bloodynj

Reaction score
Im pretty sure it does make noise when you unlock, def when you push pad. Someone else on here had same thing. I think water gets into the pad part like i told that guy, if the widow works and all other locks do its localized to button because he replaced actuator too andvstill nothing...

I know for sure it makes a sound when you touch the pad to open. But I want to confirm if it makes a sound when you press the unlock button. I know the doors are loud and could be mistaken as the tailgate. If you are near your car and can confirm if pressing the unlock button makes the actuator make a sound. Would be great help! Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons