1995 tahoe 3 inch lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackbird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So trying to figure out what my options are for a 3 inch lift.. I really don't want to do a body lift as the gaps on the bumpers bother me, plus my 200k stock shocks need to be replaced.

Could you guys point me what the best kit might be? Also looking for wheel suggestions, would love to put some 33s on it.

Thanks!

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
options are:

1) 3" body lift
2) Rough Country 4" lift

Wheels, have fun. You could spend a life time sorting through wheels and tires.

OP
OP
B

blackbird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
options are:

1) 3" body lift
2) Rough Country 4" lift

Wheels, have fun. You could spend a life time sorting through wheels and tires.

Thanks! So for the Rough Country 4inch lift do I need to change anything on the truck? Brake lines / driveshaft anything at all? or just simply bolt on and go?

Sorry for the newbie questions, obviously this is my first truck

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front crossover pipe needs to be modified. Other than that the kit is mostly bolt on. Comes with new longer front brake lines. I think you can actually go on the site and download the directions to get a feel for the work involved.

OP
OP
B

blackbird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The front crossover pipe needs to be modified. Other than that the kit is mostly bolt on. Comes with new longer front brake lines. I think you can actually go on the site and download the directions to get a feel for the work involved.

Crossover pipe as in exhaust crossover pipe? not sure what you mean by that.

I will check it out on their website.. BTW sweet truck man mine is also red but not as good looking as yours :)

---------- Post added at 05:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Also if I do a 4 inch lift won't I need to switch rear end gears? or that's only if I go with 35inch tires?

Is there a free way to raise the truck? I heard 'adjusting the torsion bars' raises it up a bit but not sure how to do that, any pointers?

Sorry for all the newbie questions

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

oh and I see a 2-3 inch option

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_88-98_2-3.html

is that not a good one? Seems simpler than the 4inch

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cross over pipe is exhaust, easy job for a muffler shop

The re-gearing is more commonly done when changing to a larger tire size to help retain the factory ride and not strain the tranny

Cheap way to get a little lift is the torsion bars being "cranked" up, this might get you 2" then you add a lift block or add-a-leaf to the rear to raise it up. This will cost you an alignment and teh lift blocks

Stay away from the rough country lift. I've never heard any thing good about it. There is a sticky at teh top of the lift section about it...AVOID it

A body lift, painted frame and some side steps is a cost effective lift too. Plus it does change the ride quality at all since you are not touching the suspension

Last edited:

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
Stay away from the rough country lift. I've never heard any thing good about it. There is a sticky at teh top of the lift section about it...AVOID it

Hey Kris, does this include the newly redesigned 3 inch lift kit by Rough Country or the old one?

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am refering to the old one. What changed on teh new one? Unless it is a 3" differential drop it will still be no better than cranking up the bars for the most part.

OP
OP
B

blackbird

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The cross over pipe is exhaust, easy job for a muffler shop

The re-gearing is more commonly done when changing to a larger tire size to help retain the factory ride and not strain the tranny

Cheap way to get a little lift is the torsion bars being "cranked" up, this might get you 2" then you add a lift block or add-a-leaf to the rear to raise it up. This will cost you an alignment and teh lift blocks

A body lift, painted frame and some side steps is a cost effective lift too. Plus it does change the ride quality at all since you are not touching the suspension

Interesting, so all I have to do is crank up the torsion bars all the way up? I got under there today and I see the adjustment screw just turn that? and that only raises the front correct?

Where do I get the lift blocks? and are they for the rear?

I do plan on getting bigger tires / wheels.. I would like something similar to your wheel / tire set up but on a 33inch tire, what brand / size are your wheels?

Thanks

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
correct, those screws will twist the torsion keys and load up the bars, this will bring just the front up. Too far will cause problems though with weaing out steering and suspension parts much faster.

The rear is lift blocks. Summit racing or jeggs is where I would start prices are good.

On my tahoe currenty I have the Kumho road venture MT (35x12.5) wheels are 17x9 atx artillery. Suburban runs a BFG AT (35x12.5) on a 17x8 ATX mojave.

The set up in my sig is a 17x8 mojave with a Procomp extreme AT 35x12.5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts